Electric heaters - should I lower my expectation

pisstol27

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 25, 2012
Smithtown, NY (Long Island)
I got a Hayward HeatPro electric heater installed a few years ago (model is below). When it is on, the water coming out of the jets is warm but I would by no means classify it as hot. Thursday in NY was a cloudy day in the 70's. I ran the heater for 8 hours and the pool went up 2 degrees. I know people with a propane heater that say they get 2 degrees an hour. My pool is pretty big so I don't expect that kind of performance, but I was just curious what other peoples' experience is with electric heaters. And for those with propane heaters and a big pool, what kind of performance do you get? Thanks!

Your 140,000 BTU HP will raise your 30,000 gallons by 1/2 degree per hour.

If you had a 400,000 BTU gas heater it would raise the temperature by about 1.3 degrees and hour or about 2.5X your HP.

Are those figures assuming no sun? It looks like mine is doing 1/4 degree an hour on a cloudy day

It just says best case amount of heat added to the water. Not the amount of heat lost from the water to evaporation and the air temperature. Anytime the air temperature is less then the water temperature you will not be able to heat the pool unless it has a cover. You will be losing as much heat as you are adding.

Your heater will be effective when air temperature is much greater then water temperature and you want to bring up the water temperature.

Hey pistol. Local to you on the Island and also have 30k+ gallons with a 120k heat pump. Performance makes a big difference based on air temps and humidity. Both can fluctuate greatly for us, even in the same day. Mine seems to really wake up around 75 for both the air and the pool. Under 70 for either and it’s just spinning the wheel on the Electric meter.

your 2 best bets for the heat pump are to run it 24/7 because it will maintain the warmer water better than it heats the cooler water. (Still no miracles though). And also, a solar cover is an absolute must. Mine cut my power bill in half. It was still high, but you know that already. Lol.

I would like to get a solar cover but my pool is pretty oddly shaped (almost S shaped) so I'd likely have to cut it into separate pieces and since I work in the city (well except for this year), I know my wife and kids are not going to up for taking it off each day. Maybe I'm should stop being lazy and try it. Where did you get your solar cover?

I got mine from intheswim. They are hit/miss everywhere due to shipping and supply chain issues. You can get 2 or 3 smaller ones and trim the edges,

Or an oversized one and trim the whole thing down. Then you can cut the big one into 2 or 3 pieces to make it easier for the family to do.

a cover is a must with nighttime lows like we get, because you are struggling to warm the pool, and losing it every night. It’s not only costly but has bad results too.

Last edited:
Reactions: borjis
I don't have your heater, but for the first couple of years we had the pool, I could average an 8 degree increase over the day (pump run time was 12 hours) without a solar cover and then could easily lose 2 - 3 at night depending on the air temp.

This year, I put on a solar cover for the first time when we started to heat the pool. I was able to get a 14 degree increase in one day (it was a HOT, sunny day!) and only lost 2 degrees at night.

I've hesitated to use the solar cover because it's a pita, but there's no denying the benefit to reduce evaporation and maintain the heat. I cut mine into 4 pieces so that I can put it on and take it off myself if needed. We only use it when the overnight temps are cooler or we won't be using the pool for a few days.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.