Electric Heat Pump Pool Heater Recommendations?

LapPoolMike

Bronze Supporter
May 13, 2017
Saint Petersburg, FL
Howdy,
I have an outdoor (no screen enclosure) 60 feet long by 11 feet wide lap pool in my backyard, 30,000 gallons, salt water. In west-central Florida (Tampa Bay area). I want to be able to heat the pool during the winter months. I have looked into the traditional pool solar panels (roof mounted) where pool water is pumped through them to heat the water, but seems like the rule of thumb is you need the same surface area of your pool (or more) of panels, so I would need at least 660 sq ft of panels on my roof which seems like a large amount. Unless there are some kind of newer technology panels that are way more efficient and therefore would require less panels?

As an alternative solution to explore, I would like to look into an electric heat pump pool heater. My pool is 30,000 gallons so would probably require a large unit (if they even make them that big). I'm interested in determining what manufacturer makes the best quality units? I wonder if someone makes electric heat pump pool heaters for commercial pool applications? I understand that they use electricity (unlike roof mounted pool solar panels), but I'm also looking into the possibility of a Tesla Solar Roof (electricity generating) to generate the electrical power to run my house, which could potentially run a new electric heat pump pool heater also. Currently I have an older concrete tile roof on my house that I'm not a big fan of, tiles crack due to thermal expansion, attracts black algae which needs regular cleaning, has some leaks, etc, etc. I would not want to mount pool solar panels up there without first replacing the roof (with shingles.....no more tile).

Any recommendations on who makes the best quality residential (or commercial) electric heat pump pool heaters? Or any other thoughts on my crazy ideas? Any thoughts appreciated! Thanks!

I currently have a Pentair Mastertemp 400 (400,000 BTU I think) natural gas heater plumbed into the system to heat the spillover spa that is attached to the pool. It does a good job at that when it works (currently has an issue where it cycles on and off). In theory this heater probably has enough oomph to heat the full 30,000 gallon pool, but would probably cost a fortune. I'm wondering if a high quality high efficiency electric heat pump pool heater might be a more cost-effective solution in the long run. I imagine that I would run an electric heat pump pool heater constantly when needed and use a pool cover to help keep the heat in. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

Hi LapPoolMike! I don't have any advice as I'm just starting my build. I was going to see how the first year goes and then decide if I need a heater and/or chiller. Do you have a chiller? I saw an old post of yours about possibly getting a solar cover...did you do that? I saw the pictures of your pool too...very nice! We were thinking about possibly getting a solar heater but we had the same thought as you about it being a lot of panels.

Hi TampaKathy! No we don't have a chiller, haven't felt the need for one. But we're on the waterfront so the pool is exposed to a lot of breeze which may help it stay cooler in the peak of summer heat, possibly. Nope, didn't get the solar cover yet either! If that's a pic of your pool design above, I like it! I see your specs in your signature.....good choice on the variable speed pumps and SWG, I have Pentair for both and love them. I have a Pentair cartridge filter, it's ok but I wish my builder would have installed a bigger unit, but it's adequate. Tip - run a "skimmer sock" on your skimmer basket, that will keep a lot of junk out of your cartridge filter and extend cleaning times!

Yes, the larger filter was something I learned here...one of the PBs wanted to give me a smaller one b/c it was "adequate," lol! I will have a cage (I have wetlands right behind the pool so bugs and alligators that I'd like to try to keep out and cats to keep in!) so that will help keep junk out but that is a good tip...anything to reduce cleaning :) Yes, the avatar is my pool design...can't wait until it's real :)

FYI - I'm looking at the Raypak Heat Pumps on their web site, and I have noticed that you can run them in reverse cycle to chill the pool (cooling function), so the unit can both heat and cool the pool. I've been playing with this calculator:

Looks like the PS10353ti unit might work for my pool (with a cover at night):

The specs show the PD10353ti is a 3 phase (usually commercial) unit. The only single phase (regualr house)
unit. That being the PS9350ti.

-Bigpaws

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.