efflorescence showing through pebble as dark area

utnuc

Jul 1, 2018
Chattanooga, TN
We just had the first phase of pebbltec ocean blue pool plaster completed today and an area of gunite efflorescence (was a line of white dripping down from this area) appears to be showing through as a patch of darkness. Will the acid wash/brushing resolve this issue, or should I ask to have it refinished? Thanks in advance.

IMG_3103.jpg

Here you can see what it looked like before the pebble:
IMG_2823.jpg

Ben

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

It appears that ground water was coming through the crack in the shell. And now with the finish installed, it looks wet from the water from behind.

Once filled, the water pressure in the pool could be higher than the ground water and prevent any discoloration. Spray some water on the area and you may not even be able to see any discoloration.

It is clear that the shell is leaking, but that is not uncommon. The plaster is the water barrier in the pool.
My guess is that it will be fine once full, but I do not know too much about this area.

Be sure to discuss with your builder and get any warranty / assurances in writing.

It is clear that the shell is leaking, but that is not uncommon. The plaster is the water barrier in the pool.
My guess is that it will be fine once full, but I do not know too much about this area.

Be sure to discuss with your builder and get any warranty / assurances in writing.

Well, it's clear that the water is seeping through the plaster/pebble finish. I don't think this will cause a significant loss of water but it's definitely something you need WRITTEN assurance that it won't be a problem and, if it is, they will repair it under warranty. I don't think acid washing is the solution and, as above, I don't think you'll see anything once the water is in.

How deep was that crack in the gunite shell? The gunite should be as thick as that sitting ledge as well as an additional 6” to 8” of wall thickness. That crack in the gunite should have been remediate BEFORE the plaster was shot. If there is any void behind the plaster from the depth of that crack, you could easily get cracking in the plaster as well as calcium nodule formations.

This requires a serious discussion with your PB. It’s not going to be fixed with an acid wash.

@sktn77a I'll try to get something in writing for sure, thanks for the advice.

@JoyfulNoise the crack was essentially invisible. I just saw that white line of efflorescence coming through.

@JamesW No visible water was coming through at all.

@pcmj96 Jules Rustic Blue Blend NPT-37-2001

Here's the section after acid wash today:
IMG_3108-X3.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I'm seeing some swirling in the plaster after acid wash. Will this resolve?
IMG_3109-X3.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.