LifeTime Supporter
Sep 20, 2014
Pleasanton, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I've been following BBB for years with zero issues and it's super simple. The one thing I think I must do different than most is I dose up usually every three days(in season) with bleach instead of adding every day. I've seen lots of posts where people add a little from a bottle every day and I don't think I've ever opened a bottle of bleach and not poured the whole thing in. I work 24hr shifts and can often work 48hr shifts which I suppose is what brought my method to pass. I know 1 bottle of bleach raises my chlorine level 4ppm, so I just add 3 bottles every third day which brings the level up to around 17-18ppm(depending on what it was before the dose) and then it drifts down from there. Use more with heavy pool usage, etc.

All of that being said, my question is am I living on the edge doing this or am I just not using my bleach quite as efficiently as I probably could?

Just not using it as efficiently. The higher the chlorine level is above what is called for with your CYA level just burns off in the sun a little quicker.

As long as at no time you drop below your minimum bfor your CYA level, you are fine.....

I guess I would say you're taking some chances but its working for you so, yay! The way to confirm if you've hit on a brilliant plan or just been lucky so far is to commit to 4 days of testing to confirm your hunch-

Day one- test FC/CC before you add those jugs, and again about 30 minutes after (with pump running to mix in)
Day two- test FC/CC
Day three- test FC/CC
Day four- run a full panel of tests to confirm everything is where it should be and add your jugs of liquid chlorine...

At any time did you go below your baseline requirement for FC based on the CYA/FC chart??

Remember that this is assuming nothing changes to make your FC deplete faster/slower....weather, sun, bather load, etc.
That would require an alteration and treatment sooner than 3 days, y'know?

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: zackpool
La Vernia ... close enough to be neighbors. :) You've seen a few replies already. Perhaps the only other thing that could be said is maybe one day, being a shift worker gone for 3 days or more ta a time, consider installing an SWG or liquid dispensing system. One of those could maintain a more steady FC level for you during those extended periods away. Enjoy the weekend. :swim:

True that, Pat. I work 24-36 hour weekends and by the time I am home, have slept and recovered enough to think about the pool its often more days than I want to admit. Yet with my SWG I can relax and know its getting its daily dose.
I've even been able to go on vacations with the longest being 17 days away and come back to a pristine pool.

SWGs are a better invention than sliced bread! :laughblue:

Maddie :flower:

Thanks for all the responses guys and gals! Shout out to the Marion Bulldogs! You guys answered as I was expecting, but it just got me thinking about how I dose with all the posts I read about two cups here and three cups there. I’ve been overdosing some I suppose and favoring ease with a busy life and a for sure sanitized pool over smart money-haven’t done the math, but I really don’t think it’s that much money.
I’ve done as some suggested and tested each day to watch the dose come down and I’ve never been below the cya/chlorine chart-quite the opposite really.
I also think reading quite a bit about how a pool with a higher than recommended chlorine level(to an extent)is still safe to swim in quelled any fears of safety with overdosing. Considered a swg, but just seems that’s adding something to a process that is already super duper simple-I just dose up and use pucks when I’ll be away for a vacation and never had any problems.
Thanks again! You guys and this site are so awesome!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.