effects of rain on SLAM & Algae

Jul 15, 2018
Liverpool, NY
Day 2 of rain. Algae is still present at about the same amount - mostly on the seams. Water is crystal clear. SFC is at 28 as of 5:15pm (should be 24, so we're good for now). Obviously, water level has risen and I'm sure we will have to add some amount of bleach before going to bed to keep it up.

Am I fighting a losing battle until the weather breaks? Can a SLAM be just as effective during inclement weather? I know rain can mess up PH levels, but the Mr. is ready to throw in the towel, drain the pool and be done til next year, and replace the liner (which we want to do because this one is so stained and faded. I think prior owners battled algae and lost). I'm telling him all hope is not lost. We still have a least another month and 1/2 of summer swimming!! We WILL clear this up!

Amiright??

It's hot, humid and set to stay this way til Thurs. I don't want to waste the bleach (Mr. is seeing $$$$) if it's not going to do its job.

Should I stay the course or wait til the weather breaks?

B

Day 2 of rain. Algae is still present at about the same amount - mostly on the seams. Water is crystal clear. SFC is at 28 as of 5:15pm (should be 24, so we're good for now). Obviously, water level has risen and I'm sure we will have to add some amount of bleach before going to bed to keep it up.

Am I fighting a losing battle until the weather breaks? Can a SLAM be just as effective during inclement weather? I know rain can mess up PH levels, but the Mr. is ready to throw in the towel, drain the pool and be done til next year, and replace the liner (which we want to do because this one is so stained and faded. I think prior owners battled algae and lost). I'm telling him all hope is not lost. We still have a least another month and 1/2 of summer swimming!! We WILL clear this up!

Amiright??

It's hot, humid and set to stay this way til Thurs. I don't want to waste the bleach (Mr. is seeing $$$$) if it's not going to do its job.

Should I stay the course or wait til the weather breaks?

B

Stay the course! Don’t give up! Keep the chlorine levels up there for as long as you see the algae and you are able to pass the three parameter test—CC of .5 or less, water is clear, and no more than 1ppm drop md Chlorine overnight. (This might be a paraphrase and not exactly correct) ! Do you have a test kit that shows both combined chlorine and free chlorine? Did you say what your CYA is at? You will save much $$ in the end if you continue to follow closely the TFP methods.

We are having a whole lot of rain here in eastern PA also. It seems when it rains a lot the the chlorine gets used up but I just think the rain is diluting the CYA and the Chlorine. Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.