Ecofinish discoloration

Waterfan

Bronze Supporter
Apr 30, 2018
Chattanooga, TN
Ecofinish is supposed to be chemically resistant yet we have this happening in just our spa where the finish isn't even a year old, and we haven't been in it for months. The chlorine tested high a few weeks ago and wasn't going down so we drained 1/2 and added fresh water. It didn't help whatever is happening even though the water was balanced. We then shocked it thinking it must be algae of some kind. That didn't help. We did notice an oily residue on top even though nobody has been in it - so it wasn't sunscreen. Today we partially drained it to try to power wash it off and it doesn't make a bit of difference. The light color is what it should be and the dark isn't shadowing, its the discoloration - and that discolor is throughout the rest of the spa as shown in the other picture that is all dark and horrible looking. Please help!

Attachments

• IMG_1163.jpg
    IMG_1163.jpg
    475.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1162.jpg
    IMG_1162.jpg
    435 KB · Views: 37
My guess is some type of metals staining.

Rub some paste made from vitamin C on it. If it cleans it off then it is iron staining.

Read...

How do you chlorinate your pool?

What is the source of your pool water? Well? Municipal water?

Last edited:
Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Here is the chlorine we use. And then the stain remover the pool place told us to use in the spa, along with granular chlorine. I am trying to find the paper they gave us but it may have gone in the trash today. They said it registered on the high end of normal for metals and we shouldn't be having these issues. This was fresh water from our hose (city water) since we dumped and refilled the spa. We also still see all this oily swirl on top and put in the "scum buddy" sponge again. The pool company had "stain free" on the shelf but would not sell it to us since we said we needed it for our spa. My husband ordered absorbic acid from amazon after the Vit C test (which the pool place said NEVER to do). They are the only pool place we have so it is frustrating!

Attachments

• IMG_1191.jpg
    IMG_1191.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1192.jpg
    IMG_1192.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 8
The photo is hard to read but it appears the tablets are trichlor which shouldn't cause staining . I have no idea what the other stuff is. What do you have in the way of a test kit? Have you ever had your water checked for metals?

We use test strips during the week and take our pool water weekly to the pool store. I started reading up on metal testing kits but saw they were very expensive and maybe not even reliable. If you know of a good place to get one, I'd be interested!

All of use trust our own testing over that of the pool store. A metals test is probably the only test I'd take to a pool store. You could also try strips just for metals. I don't trust strips because they are not very accurate. In this case you are wanting to test to see if metals are present.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.