EasyTouch8 & Landscape Lights

puppycrack

Bronze Supporter
May 10, 2017
Rochester, NY
I have an EasyTouch8 panel, and am going to be installing some LV LED 12v landscape lights around the pool. Wondering if I can install a (safety / isolating) transformer inside the EasyTouch panel to supply power to the lighting? I'd need it to be multi-tap, as distance is a concern w/ regard to voltage drop. I've seen the like of the Intermatic PX300, but that come in its own enclosure. Seems there's room in the ET panel for a transformer and some taps. Would this be to code (there's already transformers in the ET panel), and does anyone have any leads on sourcing such a transformer?

Thanks,
-pc

Yes you can use the relays in the ET to control, but you will have to instal the transformer outside, wire it to the relay then out again to the lights. You can also wire the high voltage 120ac to the transformer and have the transformer closer to the lights.

pc,

If you have an EasyTouch without a salt cell transformer, it seems that there would be plenty of room to install the transformer inside the main enclosure.. The problem that I see is you then will have low voltage wiring in the high voltage area.. This is why the low voltage wiring has its own section on the left side of the ET. So "technically" you can't do it, but physically it seems like it would work.

I have my landscape transformer right below my ET and just switch the 120 VAC going to it. I would not worry too much about the voltage drop unless you are going to have several hundred feet of wire.

Thanks,

Jim R.

pc,

If you have an EasyTouch without a salt cell transformer, it seems that there would be plenty of room to install the transformer inside the main enclosure.. The problem that I see is you then will have low voltage wiring in the high voltage area.. This is why the low voltage wiring has its own section on the left side of the ET. So "technically" you can't do it, but physically it seems like it would work.

I have my landscape transformer right below my ET and just switch the 120 VAC going to it. I would not worry too much about the voltage drop unless you are going to have several hundred feet of wire.

Thanks,

Jim R.
I have no salt cell transformer, hence me thinking I'd have room in the ET panel. When I had the ET installed, I had the vinyl siding cut back for a piece of plywood, that was then flashed, and j channel put in. It looks nice, but I stupidly made the affixing area the size of the ET panel. I should have extended the plydoown/flashing/jchannel 1' beyond / under the ET panel, to accommodate the additional lighting transformer. I really don't like the idea of screwing the transformer box directly to the siding - as it may tend to buckle the siding by inhibiting expansion / contraction.

As far as voltage drop, I have a single length 12ga direct burial landscape wiring, and with a total length of around 200' So voltage drop is a concern, but I think I can get around it w/ a multi tap transformer, and stepping up the voltage a tad.

The one thing I can't seem to find is WHERE I could source such a transformer. Aside from buying a PX300, disassembling and putting the relevant pieces into the ET, thus discarding the PX300 enclosure all together. But that just doesn't seem right to me.

I'm also not sure if what I am proposing is up to code. I'm thinking it's OK, as the ET already has LV components in it, but IANAEE or code inspector. ?

Regards,
-pc

pc,

None of the low voltage wires go outside the cabinet through the High Voltage section.

You could mount the PX300 to the side of the ET and then you would not need to screw up you siding.

I can't see 200' being an issue.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for your help / comments!

Unfortunately, the LV wiring will run in the ET regardless of whether I locate the transformer within the ET or keep a PX300 separate. My LV wires are already run, and run from an underground conduit into the ET. I also don't think I could hang it on the side of the ET, and it may impede the door.

I just have SO MUCH ROOM in the panel. I just measured, and I *may* be able to locate the whole px300 box in in, but it would be very close from a depth perspective. Just seems so pointless to put an outdoor box inside an outdoor box, hence me thinking of locating the transformer directly in the ET.

IMG_2431.jpg

Regards,
-pc

pc,

The black cable that runs from the conduit in the high voltage area over to the low voltage side is being pinched by the door, and I suspect a code violation.

If this were my system, I would not have a problem installing the transformer in the same spot the SWCG Transformer normally goes.. But it is "technically" incorrect, so it is not something I am going to tell you to do...

Keep in mind that the relay should switch the 120 VAC going into the transformer and not the low voltage output.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I noticed that pinched black wire before I closed it up and moved it, but thanks for noticing! I don't have a problem per se with doing it, but I'd like it to be code compliant. I'm thinking 725.136(A) might prohibit what I want to do. And yes, I understand a relay would power the transformer. Thanks again for your help.

I have an EasyTouch8 panel, and am going to be installing some LV LED 12v landscape lights around the pool. Wondering if I can install a (safety / isolating) transformer inside the EasyTouch panel to supply power to the lighting? I'd need it to be multi-tap, as distance is a concern w/ regard to voltage drop. I've seen the like of the Intermatic PX300, but that come in its own enclosure. Seems there's room in the ET panel for a transformer and some taps. Would this be to code (there's already transformers in the ET panel), and does anyone have any leads on sourcing such a transformer?

Thanks,
-pc

What I did with my Hayward Prologic is:
[120v ac panel relay] > [gfci outlet mounted external to panel] > [landscape lighting transformer plugged into outlet]

I can setup a schedule with my panel to control the lights.

Assuming you have a free relay spot available no reason you shouldn't be able to do the same. I wouldn't want a relay taking up room in my panel. If you search Amazon or ebay there's a ton of transformers to drive LEDS. But then you have to pick the right one, and get the light wires into the panel. The landscape lighting transformer makes it easy to connect light wires. Bought mine at Home Depot.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.