Easytouch Wireless control issue

kingdrift

Jun 20, 2013
I have a 4 button Easytouch wireless remote that's been working great for 4 years now. All of the sudden last week, it started acting like an 8 button model, meaning there are LEDs lighting up behind the surface of the remote where there are buttons on the 8 button models. My program functions have moved up 2 spots to where these phantom LEDs are now, and since there are no buttons there, I can no longer control them from the remote (spa valves, jets).

Everything still works fine from the main control panel though. I've reset the panel, disconnect the power, and even erased the eeprom from the remote and let it resync the config, but nothing helped so far. Any ideas? Thanks!

20220702_211033.jpg

That is very odd... The internal board is the same as the 8 button one, but without modifying the keypad - which you can't do since it's solvent welded shut - it shouldn't think it's an 8.

Just for kicks, go to the diagnostics menu and check to see what system version it's reporting... Depending on the firmware level it might tell you the type is an easy touch 4 (otherwise you can kick off a system test and the first screen should indicate the system type)

Thanks Tom,

I went into the diagnostics menu and it reports itself was as EasyTouch 4. I then ran the self test again now (last weekend it failed several times with an error code 4 ,which I think is a button error) and wouldn't you know, the self test passed and now the remote is working normally again!!

Thanks for the assistance!

If it's reporting itself as an 8 now, I bet the flat flexible cable on the membrane keypad has deteriorated. You can see a photo of it and other details in my post here:

In your case it's likely that the loop between pins 1 and 2 on the keypad cable is no longer conductive... Which is what they punch out to make it identify as an 8.

These flat cables are susceptible to moisture and a terrible choice for a harsh environment. Just this weekend I repaired the keypad on my dishwasher for the second time in 8 years for the same problem.

Reactions: kingdrift
Thanks for linking that post, makes perfect sense! Also seems to explain why the problem was intermittent at first, and why the firmware screen shows 4 but the self test shows 8.

I'm thinking if it's stuck like this now, maybe I can just remap the buttons with the correct functions/circuits?

EDIT: Although that might be an issue since I think the Spa function can't be moved to a different button.

you could also cut open the remote, fix the keypad, and glue it back together... maybe even leave it as an 8 and add in some extra buttons while you're at it

check out this post, there's photos of a few different ways people have opened them and I've posted some pinout details for the keypad:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.