EasyTouch PL4, Intelliflo, Intellichlor, and Intellibrite wiring

Apr 12, 2022
Phoenix, AZ
I currently have an intellibrite led light, intelliflo pump, and Hayward/gold line salt cell. The Hayward will be going away.

The intelliflo and Hayward salt center are both currently powered by the same circuit, 30A 240VAC. The salt center is on the load side of a mechanical timer, and the pump is on the supply side.

The intellibrite is connected to a 120VAC 15A GFCI, which is connected to a 15A 120VAC circuit breaker.

My question, is, what is the best way to wire the easytouch, new intellichlor power center, intelliflo, and intellibrite, with just these two circuits?

-Keep intelliflo on separate circuit
-tap 120VAC circuit for intellibrite (GFCI), intellichlor (filter relay), and easytouch.

Or should I put the easytouch and intellichlor on the 240VAC line?

BTW, will eventually add a valve actuator for waterfall.

Also, something I didn’t think about yet, is I plan to get rid of suction cleaner and get a Dolphin sigma, so hope I can run it off of one of the two circuits too.

I guess I will have to put the easytouch, intellichlor, and intelliflo on the 240VAC circuit, and the intellibrite and sigma on the 120VAC. That way, if the GFCI trips, I only lose the robot, not easytouch, chlorine generation, etc. does that sound right?

Why does pentair recommend a sub panel? I just want to use wire nuts in the easytouch panel.

Thanks,
Jason

Jason.

Just so I understand.. You have a "lite" version of the EasyTouch that does not have a load center for your circuit breakers. Is that true?

You currently have two AC power lines running from your house circuit breaker panel to your pool equipment pad.
One line is 240 VAC at 30 amps, and the other line is 120 VAC at 15 amps. Is this true?

You are going to buy an IntelliChlor IC40 and Power Center. Is this true.

If true, I don't see any issues with running your IntelliFlo and SWCG off of 240 volts AC. That is the most common way to do it.

The IntelliFlo pump should get wired so that it has constant 240 VAC power. This same power is connected to the Line side of the Pump/Filter relay. The Load side of the pump/filter relay is connected to the SWCG's Power Center using the wires for the 240 Volt input to the Power Center's transformer.

The com port of the EasyTouch needs to be connected to the com port inside of the SWCG's Power Center.

Your light would be controlled by an Aux relay. Either your AC input to the Aux relay must be GFCI protected or the AC output be GFCi protected before be connected to your light.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jason.

Just so I understand.. You have a "lite" version of the EasyTouch that does not have a load center for your circuit breakers. Is that true?

You currently have two AC power lines running from your house circuit breaker panel to your pool equipment pad.
One line is 240 VAC at 30 amps, and the other line is 120 VAC at 15 amps. Is this true?

You are going to buy an IntelliChlor IC40 and Power Center. Is this true.

If true, I don't see any issues with running your IntelliFlo and SWCG off of 240 volts AC. That is the most common way to do it.

The IntelliFlo pump should get wired so that it has constant 240 VAC power. This same power is connected to the Line side of the Pump/Filter relay. The Load side of the pump/filter relay is connected to the SWCG's Power Center using the wires for the 240 Volt input to the Power Center's transformer.

The com port of the EasyTouch needs to be connected to the com port inside of the SWCG's Power Center.

Your light would be controlled by an Aux relay. Either your AC input to the Aux relay must be GFCI protected or the AC output be GFCi protected before be connected to your light.

Thanks,

Jim R.
True, true, and true. I guess the only remaining question is where should the power for the easytouch come from? I’m assuming it should be on the 240VAC circuit, otherwise the GFCI of the 120VAC circuit could interrupt easytouch operation.

Jason,

Since you have no load center, then wiring the system transformer for 240 VAC would work fine.

Another option is the run your 120 VAC line into the EasyTouch and use it to power the System transformer and the line side of your light relay. Then the load side of the light relay could go to the GFCI and then to the light. That is how I would wire it. Edit, See additional comments below..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
Jason,

Let me revise my 120 volts wiring from above.. I'd bring in 120 VAC from your house panel into the EasyTouch. I'd connect it directly to the 120 VAC input to the System transformer and then to a GFCI out that you can install in the lower right side of the Enclosure. Tap off of the external output of the GFCI outlet and connect that GFCI protected 120 volts to the line side of your light relay, and then connect the load side of the light relay to your lite. This gives you an GFCI outlet as well as the GFCI protected voltage for your light.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I’ve got the PL4 panel and SWG load center mounted and wired up, except for the incoming power.

My kit also came with Screenlogic, so there are three devices connected to the COM port (SWG load center, RF transceiver, and the Intelliflo (not actually connected to pump yet, will wait until PL4 is ready to be powered up).

There are a few reasons I haven’t finished connecting incoming power. For one, I still need to do some plumbing to get the new IC40 installed, but the main reason is because I forget to mention that my 120V circuit also powers a 15A rated high pressure Fogco mist pump. I’m a bit hesitant to put the mist pump, robotic cleaner, led light, and pl4 all on a 15a breaker.

So what do you think about putting the PL4 on the 240VAC? What are the drawback of doing so?

Lastly, I was mistaken about the 240VAC breaker. It is also a 15A double pole, non-GFCI. I had the pool pump installed in 2020, so if I’m not mistaken, the installed should have replaced the breaker with a GFCI (Phoenix follows NEC-2017 AFAIK). I’m going to reach out to the installer and see if they will cover the labor and I’ll cover material. In any case, will be moving to a 20A breaker for the pump/SWG.

Jason,

There is no downside to running the EasyTouch off of 240 volts AC.

This assumes that you run a neutral wire as part of the 240 volts, or that you run a separate 120 volts line for things like your lights which need 120 volts.

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.