Easy Ascorbic Acid treatment

marcgr

Bronze Supporter
Oct 4, 2015
Austin, TX
The easy way to AA!

I put 100 supermarket vitamin C tablets in a sock, tied a knot in it, and zip tied it to the end of my pool pole.

Turned the pump off, started rubbing the sock around the stained areas of my pool, probably 10 square feet of stained area all around my pool. Rubbing put a hole in the sock and a couple tablets fell out, so I changed to a rolling action which worked well (kinda crushes the tablets as you go). Doesn’t need to be perfect, the AA hangs around after you move to the next area.

I’m not gonna say it’s perfect but the stains are substantially less. Total cost $3, total time taken 15 minutes, total AA added to pool 50g (less than 2oz), no rebalancing necessary.

The traditional way I would have had to add 1.5lbs of AA and some algaecide and then rebalance for days, this was way easier than that! I may do a second treatment in a week or so to get a few spots I missed the first time.

For months I thought I had mustard algae and had been slamming and scrubbing. Should have done the vitamin C tablet test months ago, I didn’t have mustard algae, I had iron stains. Still don’t know how the iron got into the pool (no ladder) but that’s a mystery for another time.

Attachments

• 684C6E35-981C-44C7-B85B-59D823061933.jpeg
    684C6E35-981C-44C7-B85B-59D823061933.jpeg
    324.9 KB · Views: 27
Iron in Austin? Don't hear that very often. But glad the sock method pulled-through once again. :goodjob: Cheap resolution with less time = satisfied owner. Nice.
I don’t know where it’s coming from. My pool is on a hill and on the exposed side of the pool I have some mineral deposits so I know my pebbletec isn’t completely water tight. Assuming there’s some rebar slowly dissolving into the pool although I’d welcome any educated guess.

Sometimes if you or a neighbor use iron based fertilizer that can runoff or blow into the pool and cause problems.
Good suggestion but nope!

The hill immediately above the pool is mine and I put buffalo grass on it that I haven’t needed to fertilize. There’s no way a neighbor’s fertilizer could run off into my pool.

Assuming there’s some rebar slowly dissolving into the pool although I’d welcome any educated guess.
While like to think our municipal water sources are metal-free, many times there are traces of iron. You might check with your water company and/or country to review their annual water report. There may be elevated amounts of iron in your local water simply from the aquifer or other source of your water.

I had an issue with a wrought iron fence that was cut using a grinder near my pool. It left tons of tiny iron shavings in my pool that my pool cleaner picked up, it then oxidized and deposited on every surface.

I ended up putting powdered AA in a sock to clean the plastic pieces and waterline. Worked like a charm

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.