Easiest way to fish pool light through conduit???

1slowcrx

Mar 25, 2019
pomona, ca
I am going to change my pool & spa light today with new Pentair 5g lights and throwing old ones away(they are no good). just wanted to know any tricks or tips to make it easier. the conduit is 1" plastic with extra ground wire that will I will leave in place. i bought metal fish tape already, but i was wondering can i use something more thin like poly or heavy duty string? i was concern with restriction going through the bends. OR can i cut the cord at the old light and fish the new light through with old cord so i fish it only once instead of twice?

I cut the old light off, taped my old electrical to the new line and pulled though with no issues. My light has a junction box relatively close.

It was helpful to have person feed it and myself at the receptacle to feed it slowly to avoid any snags.

So it all depends on how stuck the old cord may or may not be in the conduit.
The easiest way IMO is to cut the cord by the existing light, attach pull string to it, then pull the old one out from the junction box side.
Once that old one is out, attach the pull string to the new one at the light side of the pool, then pull it towards the junction box. :cheers:

I will definitely have someone help feed the line. pool light is about 70ft away and spa is about 35ft away, I imagine the farther away, the more difficult? I thought about cutting old cord to make it only 1 trip through but not sure if I would run into trouble since I will be taping old cord to new cord which would make it kind of bulky.

X2 all the above. I usually cut the wire off and strip both pieces to copper and twist and tape them together and use lube generously and pull the new cable in with the old.

If the conduit is empty you can use the ole string, cloth and air compressor trick to blow the string through it.

I appreciate all the suggestions. im going to attempt to cut off the old light fixture, twist the old cooper wires with the new and pull through, hopefully all goes well. i'll let you guys know how it goes with pix of finally product

I pulled a new spa light (actually preferred the OG Halogen style) recently and it was a bear with the existing 8-gauge bonding/ground wire in place. I used the wire-pull lube and was later told this could possibly be a problem with ‘flooded’ conduit later down the line with the lube congealing. For me it was a necessity as I wasn’t getting anywhere without the lube. Anyways, we’re selling that house and the new owners are getting a brand new pool light assembly that should last 15+ years so I don’t see it as a punt.
I cut the old fixture off and tied the wiring together and pulled through with the wife enjoying feeding it on the spa side. Just be sure you tie it together in multiple areas and use strong electrical tape (they sell quality & cheapo stuff) as my pull was so arduous that it actually snapped off with another 6 inches to go, creating another issue that you can relive in another post.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

I successfully completed my first pool light install. I cut off old light fixture and attached new light and pulled through as my son fed the cables so I didn't have to go back and forward. the spa light was easy. on the other hand, the pool light was a challenge. I almost gave up. the first 15ft or so was a beast to pull through. it would move a few inches at a time on each pull. but after it got pass whatever the hold up was, it was pretty straight forward. I didn't use any "pool lube" but I did use some dish soap.... I cant find any cord stopper locally and don't have time to order so im use some epoxy putty to seal cord conduit today. thanks everyone!

Attachments

• 20190328_080247.jpg
    20190328_080247.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 20190328_080214.jpg
    20190328_080214.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 20190327_181556.jpg
    20190327_181556.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 37

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I ordered pool stopper from PoolSupplyWorld (Link) (G&P Tools - Q-CS1 - Cord Stopper Retro F/ 3/4in. Conduit) and they have 3-4 types. I’d caution against epoxy putty—the 5gs have a history of problems and the putty may be very difficult to remove. Do you have a leak? It’s not really necessary otherwise.

When I removed the old/original light, there was nothing plugging the hole. There is no leak that I am aware of. I wanted to plug it based on reading others recommendation. I already plugged it earlier today with jb weld water putty. HOPE i don't have to remove lights anytime soon

Since the conduit is supposed to be sealed it's entire length, sealing it isn't really required, but depending on what the conduit is (RMC, PVC, Copper, etc.) it could easily develop a leak at a joint and then you'd have to try and find where the leak is and seal it, so it's not too bad an idea to go ahead and seal it while you're working on it. I'd probably use something a little less aggressive than epoxy, but You have what you have, and hindsight is always 20/20! :D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.