Melbourne VIC Australia
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Astral Viron eQuilibrium EQ25
The other day I noticed my water was ever so slightly off. Just didn't have that 'gin' clear look in the deep end. I did an OCLT and yes, lost 1.5ppm FC. CC zero

So I started a SLAM. Water back to gin clear in less than 12 hours, with some visible dead algae which was vacced to waste. Holding slam now. Swimming season is over. I do not close the pool due to climate.

Early stages during the SLAM I cleaned out the filter and suspect it was harbouring the algae, the housing lid was slimy and the cartridge needed cleaning twice (initially quiet dirty). Could lack of cleaning of the cartridge filter be the cause of my algae bloom? Even while maintaining FC at around the max recommended range? I must confess I let it go for probably 4 weeks, brushing was a bit lax too :rolleyes: Whoops. Could it just be that brushing and cleaning (or lack off) are the cause of the algae bloom? Or is there something I'm missing? Thanks in advance.

FC just dipped down and a slight bloom started.. Who knows exactly what or how but you saw it and went straight to SLAM and that is all that matters :)

OK, got it. I'll maintain FC at 10-12 instead of 8 and see how we go from there. CYA is 60. Every pool is different and I might just need more FC. I have read on other threads that some pools require >12 FC to remain crytstal clear long term.

I have a SWG and keep my FC at 7 to 8 at all times and my CYA is at 80... With your CYA at 60 it can be harder on your SWG/FC and the FC can dip lower.. I would bring your CYA to 80 and keep FC at 7 to 8 and you should be great...

I had the same exact thing happen 2 times with my pool, both times my pump had not started and therefore the SWG had not started and Bam my pool went cloudy... Did exactly the same thing as you and went to SLAM for a couple days and all was good in the world.. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.