Early Season Chemistry

Rebf

Jan 31, 2016
Southern CT
To protect my 1yr old pool, I want to keep my CSI in a healthy place. To do that it seem my pH and TA need to be at their upper limit. However, I was under the impression that I should keep the pH and TA on the lower end of the recommended range for a SWG. As the weather gets warmer (and the water), it appears that the CSI will be easier to control.

In the interim what is recommended, lower pH & TA or marginally higher CSI?

Also, due to early season cold temperatures I am chlorinating my pool with bleach rather than the SWG. I am sticking with SWG Pool chemical goals because I assume they account for salt. If this is a mistake and I need to adjust CYA down until it gets warmer, please give me a head's up.

Thank you for any advice you have to offer.

FC 6.5 (bit high added bleach last night - too cold for SWG)
pH 7.5 (goal 7.5-7.8)
TA 70 (goal 60-80)
CH 410 (goal 350-450)
CYA 70 (goal 70-80)
Borate 30 (30-50)
Salt 3200
Temp 53f
CSI -0.59 (goal -0.3 to 0)

Richard320

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 6, 2010
San Dimas, CA (LA County)
I wouldn't do anything different. Your pH is going to creep up a little naturally, which will send the CSI the right direction. Warmer water will also shift it. Just be patient and let nature take its course.

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
Reb,

Most SWG pool like their pH to around 7.8. In your case letting your pH come up to 7.8 gets your CSI into the recommended -.3 to +.3 area.

Letting your TA come up to 100, gets your CSI to -.06, which is perfect...

Personally, my pool will often stay at a pH of 7.8 for several weeks at a time. If I bring it down to 7.5 or so, it will stay there for only a few seconds... :p

As long as your pH is stable I would ignore the TA, unless it is way way out of range.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Other Threads of Interest