Memorial Villages, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pureline Crystal Pure 60,000
I've recently noticed that my Calimar 3hp VSP occasionally shuts down on undervoltage, throwing an E-08 error - but only under the following very specific conditions:
  • High speed (set at 3450 rpm) is selected while running the spa, with air blower on
  • High speed is selected immediately after switching the pool back from spa mode to pool mode after running in spa mode for awhile
None of the following conditions throw the E-08:
  • Running the pump at high speed during pool mode (I run high speed for 15 minutes first thing every morning to ensure good priming)
  • Running the pump at high speed in spa mode with the air blower off
  • Running the pump at medium speed in spa mode with or without the blower on
When the E-08 error is triggered, the pump shuts down until it is power cycled or the Start/Stop button is pressed to restart it. I'm concerned that this could create a dangerous situation because my SWG stays powered up in this scenario (the flow switch will shut off the cell, but I know that relying on the flow switch alone isn't appropriate).

I've checked all wiring connections and they're fine, voltage to pump is normal. The pump shares a 240v breaker with the heater and with a Polaris booster pump (not ideal, I realize, but it was like this when I bought the house and my main panel is nearly maxed out). The air blower is on a separate 240v breaker that is shared with the waterfalls pump. iAqualink system, lights, and SWG are on a separate 120v breaker.

Anything else I can check? Is it likely my pump drive or aftermarket automation control panel (basically equivalent to the Calimar CMARVSPIB) is defective?

The obvious workaround is to not use high speed unless really necessary. I might also try reducing the high speed rpm slightly and see if the issue persists. But I'd like to understand the root cause if possible.

Last edited:
You could use a voltage meter on the pump to see if you can detect a voltage drop under those specific conditions. Measuring under normal operation may not reveal the problem. You need to measure it when the pump shuts down with the error.

You may not have all these components:

Pump <--> Pool Equipment Breaker Box <--> Main house breaker Box OR Power Co Service Entrance

What are the distances labeled by "<-->" and what gauge wire is being used?

If the wiring is undersized for the application, that can cause a voltage drop. Poor connections further up the line can also cause problems. An electrician may be warranted depending on your skill set.

Reactions: gkw4815
Thank you mas985, all good advice.

I re-checked all of the connections in the breaker panel (all good) and in the Aqualink box (a couple of questionable wire-nutted connections).

Rewired the suspect connections and all seems fine now.

Reactions: Newdude and mas985
Well, I may have been kidding myself...a couple weeks later I started seeing occasional E-08 Undervoltage errors again. Upon closer investigation, these errors only seem to occur when using the integrated spa (or shortly after switching back to pool mode) during midday (not evening).

We've had a record number of 100+ degree days here in the Houston area, so I'm wondering if it could be heat-related? My pump is on the southeast side of our house, so it is somewhat shaded from the brutal west sun, but it definitely does catch some heat. Guess the heated spa exacerbates further.

I did purchase some alligator clip leads for my multimeter and verified that input power is right at 240v in the pool equipment's various operating modes, so I believe power quality can be ruled out as an issue.

Props to Calimar's customer service...after describing the issue to them and listing the troubleshooting steps completed, they've approved me for a replacement pump (within last two weeks of the one-year warranty!). Unfortunately, pumps are backordered 4-6 weeks, so I'll be waiting for it for awhile.

Reactions: Newdude
Just got shipment notification email for the replacement pump!

I'm disappointed that I haven't figured out the root cause of this issue, but I can't fault Pool Supply Unlimited's or Calimar's customer service.

Temperatures have cooled off a fair bit over the past month, and I've only experienced one E-08 error during that time (while running the spa).

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.