DYI solar heaters, do they work?

May 31, 2014
Wentzville, MO
I have for years noticed a lot of people out there building their own solar heaters out of black flex tubing. I am pretty sure many use a transfer pump to do so as well, although I did see a few routing their returns through it. I did a search here and failed at finding anything recent on it, I apologize if this is a horse beating topic. I am looking to raise my pool about 5 degrees and it's pretty small (10k gallons or so). I also don't have a ton of money to invest in a "real" heater. I own pumps and have a lot of the materials outside of the hose so I figured I would ask.

Do you have a solar cover? A solar cover will minimize heat loss overnight and provide an overall warmer pool. Take it off during sunny days so the sun can warm the water.

Even with a heater, a cover is recommended to retain the heat overnight. While you can DIY a solar install, using black flex tubing isn't going to be very efficient. Using pre-fab solar panels is a much better way to go.

Define "work". Yes they will add heat. No they will not likely add enough to make a difference unless you go very big and then buying mats would have been cheaper.

There are inexpensive solar mats on eBay that will do a better job adding heat then trying to rig up irrigation pipe.

Ya I do use a solar cover at night and it does make a difference IF I have a hot week. But so far this season it's been in the lower 80s and last year overall the pool was just a handful of degrees below what I would consider "comfortable". Having something to kick it up a few degrees to widen the season a few weeks would be nice. I looked into gas heaters and they are out of my budget right now. I was hoping being that I had a smaller pool that I could get by with an alternative. I did find a post in regards to the solar mats but when I searched they were pretty expensive. I will check ebay now.

EDIT: are you guys talking about something like this? Solar Mat

No, I would not get those type of mats. I was talking about the ones that are generally 2 foot by 20 foot long standard pool solar heating mats. I thought you could find 4 by 20 foot mats for under $200 on eBay. Try pool solar panel instead of mat.

Again, Define work :) it will add Heat but the more panels you have the more heat you will add.

Usually solar sizing is greatly depending on sun exposure to the pool and the panels. Generally you want at least 50% of the square footage of your pool surface in solar heating mats and up to 100% depending on how much heat you want to add

Yes you will see a rise in temps with just one, the key is have it laying so it’s 90 degrees to the sun. The best solar systems now have the ability to track the sun to get that 90 degrees at all times.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.