Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
-How much does the manual say that the cell needs? Like 3000ppm?
-How many gallons is your pool??
-How long have you had the pool? Is the pool new or just you new to that pool?
-If its a fresh fill of water just use PoolMath and input <zero> in your current level and <x amount that cell needs> in your target level. The answer will be in pounds based on how big youor pool is.
-If you are on a laptop look at the bottom of this page for the classic web version of PoolMath. Don't forget to enter pool size at the top.
-Look at solar pellet salt also....if cheaper you can use it. Just takes minutes longer to dissolve. Never use Clorox pool salt-occasional iron found in some bags caused stains to new pools. :(
-Remember to keep SWG OFF for 24 hours after salt is dissolved to allow it to mix. Big hits of salt thru the cell before that can mess up thre cell's brainware.

Maddie :flower:

I forgot to say- only add 3/4 of what you need and retest. See if the cell is happy with just that, your salt level rises over time naturally thru evaporation and breakdown of other chems.

Start the cell up with your FC already at the goal level with liquid chlorine, then let the SWG maintain that level.

Maddie :flower:

I'm curious.. why do you feel like you need to stock up? I assume your SWG is already installed.. Are you planning on a drain and refill? Are you opening a pretzel factory?
Well, it's a brand new pool, and the builder has already added salt, and tested everything. Levels are good. I don't have my test kit yet.

All my friends who own pools say come mid season they can't find any salt at stores, so that's why i wanna stock up.

For reference i have a 27k gal pool & needed 2 bags at opening. I bought 3. May need to add some in the middle of the season if we get a lot of rain. I keep a bag or two on hand as I also use it in my hot tub.
You can use 99% pure water softener salt as well (which is generally available year round).
There’s really no reason to buy a whole bunch of bags unless you’re planning on doing a water exchange.

Well, it's a brand new pool, and the builder has already added salt, and tested everything. Levels are good. I don't have my test kit yet.
I wouldn’t trust the pb’s word on everything being good. Once you get your own testing capability you will be able to know where your water chemistry really is.

Former President Reagan’s “Trust but verify” approach is something that is good in this area for sure. 😉

Reactions: Mdragger88
For reference i have a 27k gal pool & needed 2 bags at opening. I bought 3. May need to add some in the middle of the season if we get a lot of rain. I keep a bag or two on hand as I also use it in my hot tub.
You can use 99% pure water softener salt as well (which is generally available year round).
There’s really no reason to buy a whole bunch of bags unless you’re planning on doing a water exchange.
Gotcha, I'll buy a few I guess.

My pool is 17.5k gallons

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ASUMMING the salinity is where it needs to be, you would really only need a bag or two to make it through the season assuming you get a lot of dilution. I see you live in Ohio so if you get a lot of summer rain that would force you to drain water mid season you would have to replenish the salt a bit. For Me with my weather pattern once my salt level is set in the spring I'm good for the summer. You don't loose salt to evaporation. So.. being this is a new pool and all, I bet you could ask the PB for a few bags of salt to have on hand. And you can spend your money on important pool amenities like floaties and adult beverages. 🍾 🍺🍷

ASUMMING the salinity is where it needs to be, you would really only need a bag or two to make it through the season assuming you get a lot of dilution. I see you live in Ohio so if you get a lot of summer rain that would force you to drain water mid season you would have to replenish the salt a bit. For Me with my weather pattern once my salt level is set in the spring I'm good for the summer. You don't loose salt to evaporation. So.. being this is a new pool and all, I bet you could ask the PB for a few bags of salt to have on hand. And you can spend your money on important pool amenities like floaties and adult beverages. 🍾 🍺🍷
Welp,

I bought 8 bags, and a floaty, we'll see what happens. Lol.

We had a good rain storm here last weekend and it dropped about 5-6 inches of rain. Needless to say, I had to add a bag of salt to my 25K pool. My pools average depth is about 5.75 feet. For every 7 inches of rain I lose 10% of my salt. Evaporation loss does not cause salt loss. Splash out does, but that is rarely a problem in my pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.