Dumb Pipe mistake, smh. I have a question???

Jul 24, 2015
STAMFORD, CT
So i'm a total dumbo. I went to home depot and just grabbed a bunch of 90's and 45's without any thought to what kind they were. Well i bought 90's 45's and couplings for sanitary, and drain use, and they were not rated for high pressure. I'm going back tonight to buy and replumb the correct 90's and 45's. Not only does does the extra work suck, but its going to make my beautiful work now look not as beautiful. This is killing me that I made this dumb mistake. i knew looking at them they didn't look right, but it never clicked (may have been the beer) they wouldn't be high pressure. So moment of truth, I also bought couplings, looks like the same low pressure ones. Problem is i used them on my jandy valves to connect to the 2 inch PVC. There is no way im getting them off. i can understand the 90's and 45's being an issue, but do i really have to worry about the couplings?

IMG_1874.jpgPic is from before i glued it all. i also need to put in a check valve on the heater outlet.

First, there is no need for a check valve after the heater for a SWG.

Second, the worst that will happen is the couplings start to leak. Pool pumps really do not make much pressure, so the fitting you have may work fine for many years. Even less likely for issues on the suction side.
I might be tempted to let it ride for a bit and see how it goes.

If you run into issues, replumb and be sure to use the schedule 40 PVC fittings.

Shh don't tell anyone but almost all the fittings on my pool are DVW fittings and not schd 40 fittings. They have been that way for a few years now. One day I will get around to replacing them.... One place they absolutely will not work is if you are trying to connect to flexible PVC. You need the extra socket depth of schd 40 fittings for the glue to hold the flex pipe in place.

Nice clean work by the way it looks good.

I would leave it. Like mentioned above, pool pumps just don't make that much pressure. What you have looks good aesthetically, so nobody will ever know, except for you and the other 23,939 active members who read these posts.. lol.

I have some of those fitting on my lines. No problem if glued correctly. I actually has a sch40 coupling problem this spring because of lack of glue. No wonder I was losing water when the pump was running. It was blowing out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.