Dang Ducks

Sarah

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 14, 2012
Norfolk, Virginia
I have tried almost everything to get rid of ducks in my pool.
I live on a "finger" of a huge lake and they habitat at my bulk head. In the past 30 yrs, I usually see them in the spring and they move on. This year they are obstinate ! I put my blow-up aligator in the pool , didn't phase them. Huge fake goose, by the pool and several blow-up animal floats, no luck. Then came the Owl (they used him as a diving board !); Next I put all my floats in and incircled the pool with shiny garland & mylar flags (what a sight !). The ducks partied down ! Sprayed the perimeter of the pool with liquid fencing (supposedly it would deter them from coming in the yard. They flew into the veggie garden and wandered about the yard (not near the pool) THEN flew into the pool. I chase them away every day, and have shot them with a BB gun (many times). Last attempt was to cover the pool with netting (like for fruit trees) they landed on the netting and swam around. I elevated the netting (about 1' off the pool) and they walk under it. These psycotic birds are driving me nuts ! The polaris pool cleaner doesn't pick up the poo, (just dirstributes it ) so I have to hand vacumn every day. I don't need recipes..(I KNOW how to cook duck)...I need suggestions !! :rant:

Re: **** Ducks

Yeah...ok; but I don't want a dog (been there/done that) AND I borrowed my neighbor's dog for 2 days (golden retriever) and he watched the ducks swim around THEN got in the pool with them. (If I wasn't so frustrated, it would have been funny).
BTW...we aren't talking a "couple of ducks" here; 6 Drakes & 2 Hen's. I "got one" with the BB gun last week, so I'm down one.
I'd bring out my 38 but I'd probably blow a hole in my new gunite and STILL go to jail while the ducks enjoyed the pool !
Got any serious advice ? :twisted:

Follow them... more than likely there is a nest nearby.
Check with your local Game Warden about the legality of removing the nest.
Can you get a pool cover? It will at least help keep the poo out of the pool.

- Golden Retriever... nice dogs, grew up with one, the best... Will not hunt your ducks... too laid back.
What you need to borrow is a Black/Yellow/Choc-LAB ... these are also very wonderful dogs (IMHO) - They are also VERY high energy as puppies/young dogs. They will do more in a few hours than anything else to get rid if the ducks, birds, squirls, rabbits, does it move, can we chase it that might be thinking about being in your yard. I have one... she's 6 now so starting to slow down... but the squirls stay out of the yard :twisted:

Go to the pound or local H.S. tell them your issue and offer to "baby sit" one or two dogs for a few days or few hours. HS will want to take a look at your yard; however, if all's cool, they'd more than likely let you "walk" the dogs for a few hours... maybe even let you foster the dogs for a day or two... money is always tight and fostering can take that load from the shelter.

If they grow on you (and they might) make sure you have a lot of approved chewing materials. Young Labs are very mouthy and will chew on almost anything.... Bitter Apple Spray is the only thing I've found that will keep them from chewing on something - usually :roll: .

-wc

Great advice ! :goodjob:
I'm going to check out the "lease a dog" from the local SPCA.
My yard is cool ! My lab of 14 yrs died 3 years ago and my beagle (10 yr) died last year. So all those were good options.
I'm considering a air horn, but them come about 5:30 am and then periodically throughout the day. The 5 am wake-up call may not be appreciated ! :p

Sarah said:
I have tried almost everything to get rid of ducks in my pool.
I live on a "finger" of a huge lake and they habitat at my bulk head. In the past 30 yrs, I usually see them in the spring and they move on. This year they are obstinate ! I put my blow-up aligator in the pool , didn't phase them. Huge fake goose, by the pool and several blow-up animal floats, no luck. Then came the Owl (they used him as a diving board !); Next I put all my floats in and incircled the pool with shiny garland & mylar flags (what a sight !). The ducks partied down ! Sprayed the perimeter of the pool with liquid fencing (supposedly it would deter them from coming in the yard. They flew into the veggie garden and wandered about the yard (not near the pool) THEN flew into the pool. I chase them away every day, and have shot them with a BB gun (many times). Last attempt was to cover the pool with netting (like for fruit trees) they landed on the netting and swam around. I elevated the netting (about 1' off the pool) and they walk under it. These psycotic birds are driving me nuts ! The polaris pool cleaner doesn't pick up the poo, (just dirstributes it ) so I have to hand vacumn every day. I don't need recipes..(I KNOW how to cook duck)...I need suggestions !! :rant:

This is to help not just to OP but others around the country.

In some parts of the country using a "lethal" means to eradicate can get you arrested if you are caught. Also does not score big points amongst certain groups of individuals.

As you should know Ducks are migrating birds and will continue to come back every mating season once they have made your pool their new mating grounds.

People feeding the ducks because they thought they were "cute" does not help your situation as I'm sure many have found out, nor does the floating chlorine feeder that resembles a duck help much (great idea).

In any case there's a simple solution that is non-lethal and when applied at the first sign of ducks should have your unwanted guests vacating the premises within a few days.

Use BIO-DEX OIL-OUT http://www.bio-dex.com/products/OilOut.html

When you add 5 times the dose up to an entire bottle to your water and the ducks swim around it strips the oils from their feathers causing them to loose buoyancy and start to sink in a sense. The ducks obviously do not care for this and will remove your pool from their memory bank as a place to go year after year.

Please note that this is non-lethal when used as soon as adults fly in. Should they have already mated and ducklings be onsite DO NOT use this as the ducklings loose buoyancy they can drown.

Do the same treatment if new ducks arrive with the same results.

Good Luck!

I would remove the posts about shooting them with a BB gun. Ducks are a migratory bird and are protected under federal law!! I am a avid duck hunter, and these are laws you don't want to get tangled in. Not to mention your local game warden will have a few "slips" of paper for you. As far as a dog goes.... don't get too up-set if after you get a dog, more ducks show up! Nova Scotia Tolling Dogs! These small dogs main job is to move around the hunters blind and ATTRACT ducks. Bird bombs, bottle rockets, screamers, humans are your best options.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I had ducks this winter and spring and they loved my above ground pond. They loved it so much that the pool was DS green and they were known to visit everyday about the same time. I removed the liner and they were less than impressed with my new "dirt with 52 inch walls". I added my new liner and have been crystal clear since them but now only have low flying ducks. The neighbors... they caught the ducklings and clipped their wings. I think they are are on the menu for a late summer meal.

If you need a dog to chase dragonflies and flies...

IMG_5023.JPG

Lilli can teach them how to catch them from her "Lilli-Pad"

I don't know if this will work for ducks but it works for sea gulls. Assuming your pool is a rectangle, Place a 10' pole at each corner of the pool so that at least 8' is above ground. Connect the monofillament line starting at top of one of the poles and run it to the top of the other three poles. Then run monofilament line across the diagonals of the rectangle. Birds eye view of the result should look like a rectangle with a big X in the middle. As I said it keeps the sea gulls away from the pool for some reason.

Thanks for all the comments & good advice. The ducks are gone; I sprayed them with the water hose (full jet !) a couple of times. The last one's flew into the yard on the 4th and there was a lab (borrowed) and he chased them away.
For the record..(1) I'm a huge animal lover, (2) I shot them with a low powered BB gun that dispenses plastic pellets (which is why I never killed one) and (3) ANYONE who has had this problem with Duck poop ALL over their pool, every day, for over a month would most likely lend me the 38 cal. to do target practice. Next year I'm trying the BIO-DEX OIL-OUT; like I said, they live in my water-way, and I go through this every year...this year they were more tenacious then every.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.