Dual Speed versus Variable Speed Pump

xemi

Nov 7, 2015
South Florida
I have a 15k underground pool, and my 10 year old pump (came with the house) is creaking on its last leg. It's a standard single speed hayward pump.

I am considering replacing this with either a dual or variable speed pump. My goal is replacing the pump with a new one before it breaks, and also energy savings (I'm in Florida so it's roughly $0.11 / kwH)

Any recommendations? Hayward, Pentair, generic comparable (such as Prime Variable Speed Pump - INYOPools.com

Here's what I see so far:

Single Speed: 3450 RPM
Dual Speed: 1725 RPM, or 3450RPM
Variable Speed: ~500 to 3450, in 250RPM increments

Seems like energy consumption goes up exponentially with respect to RPM.

If I were to purchase a variable speed pump, I am assuming, I would rarely use any RPM below 1725, so a dual speed might be a good option. Through a VS is not much more $.

Anyone witih experience with VS versus DS pumps? With VS, what settings do you use?

A couple thoughts.
1. Your power is not that expensive, so the added cost of the VS may take a LONG time to recoup
2. You have a lot of lightning in FL. VS pump are very susceptible to damage from nearby lightning so you would need to add a surge protector.

So, I might lean toward a 2-speed, unless the cost of the VS is not much more (and you already have surge protection)

Many people run their VS around 1000-1200 RPM.

Thanks for the quick response. Do the VS owners just use one setting usually? Perhaps they crank up the speed when they are cleaning or in a rush, but for the most part during regular filtration cycles, are they just using 1000-1200RPM and no other setting?

Some run 1000 rpm 24/7 ... others may need to run at higher speeds for skimming or running a pool cleaner or solar heating.

Advantage of a VS is that it allows you dial in exactly what speed you need for your given requirement.

I just run my 2 speed on high for 3 hours (suction cleaner) and low for 6 hours ... unless the solar heating ramps up the speed to add heat.

Pump speed depends on what you need it to do. With a SWCG you need it to close the flow switch. With a suction side cleaner you need it to run it properly, skimming may need a certain water flow. So depends.

But if all you are doing is circulating water to distribute your daily addition of liquid chlorine then 1000 - 1200 rpm is fine.

Great info guys, Thanks again.

I'm doing a comparison between these three:

Dual Speed for $539: PureLine Prime Digital Dual Speed Pool Pump 1.4 HP - PL2607 - INYOPools.com

Variable Speed for $599: PureLine Prime Variable Speed Pool Pump 1.65 HP - PL2605 - INYOPools.com

Variable Speed with Smart Phone control for $879: PureLine Prime Variable Speed Pool Pump 1.65 HP W/ Smart Phone Control - PL2615 - INYOPools.com

Are these good products?

Looks like the price difference between the cheaper VS and the DS is $60, so it seems worth it to move to VS (I do have whole house surge protection at the panel).

The VS with Smart Phone looks tempting -- as it would make it easier for me to manually turn on/off. I also have a spa, which I will be buying same pump for....

To my knowledge there have been no reports of issues with those pumps. You could do a quick search of the forum. Use the search box above.

I have a dual speed and it works well for me. When I had a suction cleaner I found the cleaner struggled or moved very slow on low speed. Now I have a robot and I run my pump on low speed the majority of the time. In the end I spent less on the pump and invested in the robot so I have energy savings and better cleaning!

I have been happy with my Pureline 2.7 hp VS; it has been online for about 10 weeks now. I have a kreepy krawly suction cleaner; it requires about 50% power (2600 rpm). When not using the cleaner 2025 rpm (25%) provides circulation and ample skimming. Much lower rpm can be used if skimming is not required.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.