Dry acid - really that bad?

BobStrauss

Apr 19, 2021
San Antonio, TX
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I’ve got a stock tank pool (tiny, ~ 600 gallons) that I’ve had since early last year. Using the TFP app I had very few issues last season keeping it balanced. All I really used was liquid chlorine, CYA, and dry acid to deal with high pH.

I know that muriatic acid is said to be the best approach, but is dry acid really that problematic? Especially in my situation where water replacement wouldn’t be a huge issue? I’m just not wild about dealing with fumes and potential burns when dealing with liquid.

For 600 gallons, buy the half strength MA. Its no fumes and a gallon is 91 doses (1.4 oz) for a Ph of 7.8 down to 7.4. 91 times later, you will LAUGH that you 'ran out' of the weak stuff.

With no heater or swg & such small amounts it’s really probably no biggie but just remember it’s still acid & should be treated as such as it can make u blind, be accidentally inhaled, & burn the skin as well. It also deserves its own measuring vessel just like the wet stuff.

I personally don't like the fumes on the full strength acid so i mostly use 14.5%. It ends up costing twice as much but i really, really hate getting hit in the face with that stuff when the wind changes direction... Which it seems to do every time I'm pouring.

Reactions: Jennybird
Just FYI-"Acid Magic" adds phosphates to your water (don't ask how I know). You typically do not have to worry about phosphates if you keep things balanced. Your small dosing and ability to change water will also help. Just something to be aware of.

I used to also be afraid of muriatic acid, and used the dry acid. I think I was afraid of it because when we first bought the house we inherited a green pool and hired a pool company. Dude came out and poured this acid in the pool and I got a whiff of it from 20ft away and it almost knocked me on my butt and cleared out my sinuses! It also seemed to bleach a spot in the old liner. I now believe that he was using hydrochloric acid. Once I got the courage to use MA I was like, that’s nothing to be afraid of! I just use splash proof goggles to not get it in my eyes. I now have a big bucket of dry acid that I have no idea what to do with… neighbor doesn’t want it…

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.