Dripping water inside the bottom foot of the PAC FAB Nautlius NS48 DE filter tank

ShinDiors

Jul 16, 2021
Northern VA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Just now, when my pump is already stopped, I noticed that my NS48 stainless steel DE filter was leaking water. I can hear the water dripping sound from inside. Checked all the visible and common leaking places, metal clamps, air pressure relief valve, the inlet pipping, backwash valve and pipe also the drain plug. The plug had some wetness, so I tightened it a bit, and the amount of wetness around drain plug should not cause the frequency of water dropping sound (2-3s per drop). I have a new filter grid assembly, although had to use the old rubber o-ring for the metal clamp (new one is too big, and leak).

What could be the leak spot? The dripping site must be inside the base as I could not locate anywhere around the tank.

Thanks a lot.

My problem is how to check inside the bottom half as the sound seems to come within. Also, what would be the sign of cracked tank? My pressure does not increase so far.

After I tightened the drain plug a little bit more, the wetness over there is gone, but the drip sound and leak still exists although minor. I rechecked all the valves and clamps, all seem to dry. The only part I cannot see is the backwash side (the blue rubber/plastic in the pix above) where it extends into the metal enclosure and joint somehow with the tank. If that joint is dripping water, is this something easily fixable?

I looked around the bottom half and does not really see it bolted down to the concrete, so in order to check inside, looks like the plumbing (inlet and backwash valve) need to be disconnected? Kinda intimidating for me...

NS48.JPG

So from this part list, that drain pipe (one side drain plug, the other side backwash valve) has a joint with the tank. If that's leaking, what is the easier way of fixing that other than cut off all plumbing and lift the whole thing... Either #23 bulkhead Oring or #33 bulkhead nut #32 spacer could be the issue. Not sure how the #23 oring is applied, if it is from the drainpipe side (seems to indicate that), to replace it would need to remove a lot of external stuff (pipes, bulkheads at drain pipes) in order to lift the foot up...

This is an very old filter tank and more than one fellow members suggested changing to cartridge type when it's time to replace. Wonder what are my options? Leak so far is minor so far, I may be able to keep it hanging on for another season?

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.