Drinking Pool Water

Oct 23, 2017
Miami, FL
So we're approaching storm season again here in SoFla. Last year, after Irma, we didn't have our pool. We were without power for about 4 days. I'm planning ahead this year.

With my SWG pool, without power for a couple days, obviously there will be no chlorine generation and no filtering. I'm guessing that it would be good to dump some liquid Cl in the pool if we're without power for more than a couple days. Obviously it would need to be mixed manually but that wouldn't be a big problem as the pool would be a welcome relief without AC!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh crop, forgot about the initial topic. We're good about preparing and stocking for a few days without power and water. Even though there was never a boil water notice after Irma, I'm wondering about using pool water as a drinking source. Just a thought really. As I said, we are well stocked with bottled water during storm season.

Would properly maintained pool water be a reasonable drinking source when water is scarce?

The salt level should be ok. It's nowhere near ocean salinity with swg pools. If you search the topic
there are a few threads that discuss it. The main issue being CYA levels. It's been said that it's
not good for people to drink it.

If it has been maintained and chlorinated then yes, it would work in an actual emergency. This would be after all other potable water has been used and there is no other options. Yes, the salt will be high but given the choice between that and a muddy puddle, I would certainly drink pool water.

More useful is to use it as a source of "gray water". Use it for flushing toilets, for bathing (bring a bucket of water in, don't use it as a tub), and washing dishes. This way you aren't using potable water for these chores so you shouldn't get to a point where pool water is your only option for drinking.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm in Central Florida and we've been through two hurricanes now with our pool. We stock up on bottled water at the beginning of the season for drinking.

As far as the pool goes, in the past I've drained down the water and turned off the valve to the skimmer before a storm hits. In anticipation of losing power I've also used liquid chlorine from the pool store to get the pool almost up to SLAM level. So far we've been lucky and never lost power for more than a day and a half. If we did, I do make sure to have extra chlorine on hand in case I need to manually dose for a few days. Other than a lot of debris in the pool (we are un-screened) we've come through very well. I did buy a leaf rake after the last hurricane which should help with the leaves, etc. that we ended up with.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.