Dreaded yellow algae

If I’m reading correctly, between 4/23 and today you’ve raised FC twice, and you aren’t sure what your CYA is? That isn’t following SLAM.

If you want to follow TFP principles, you need to read up on the procedure for SLAM, and follow it. It isn’t a one and done solution, but it will clear your pool without costly chemicals that may do more harm than good.

What kind of filter do you have, and how are you chlorinating your pool? Have you added anything else other than what you have mentioned in this thread?

If I’m reading correctly, between 4/23 and today you’ve raised FC twice, and you aren’t sure what your CYA is? That isn’t following SLAM.

If you want to follow TFP principles, you need to read up on the procedure for SLAM, and follow it. It isn’t a one and done solution, but it will clear your pool without costly chemicals that may do more harm than good.

What kind of filter do you have, and how are you chlorinating your pool? Have you added anything else other than what you have mentioned in this thread?
I have a 1 Hp Dynamo pump and a 150# Sand Dollar filter SD40
And yes between surgery and snow flurries I have only been able to add the 10 % bleach x2 . I have not added anything else. I'm aware of Slam, I am fully aware it is not a one and done but have been unable to complete due to reasons I stated above.

Thanks for your help.

Don’t add anything to the filter - it may gum up your sand and then you will have no choice but to replace sand.

In your situation if there is no one else that can assist, I would just add liquid chlorine daily to maintain until you are healed, and then perform a proper SLAM. Resist the urge to add a bunch of other stuff, it will cost you more money than necessary and may mess up your water even more.

Don’t add anything to the filter - it may gum up your sand and then you will have no choice but to replace sand.

In your situation if there is no one else that can assist, I would just add liquid chlorine daily to maintain until you are healed, and then perform a proper SLAM. Resist the urge to add a bunch of other stuff, it will cost you more money than necessary and may mess up your water even more.
Thank you. My Fc is at 9 should I let it come down to target level now and slam when I am able or keep the chlorine level up? I do have a robot who goes up the sides a little bit but not much. I will most likely try to hire someone to help as soon as I can.

Thank you. My Fc is at 9 should I let it come down to target level now and slam when I am able or keep the chlorine level up? I do have a robot who goes up the sides a little bit but not much. I will most likely try to hire someone to help as soon as I can.
One other thing, my filter has been running 24/7. .do I need to keep it going or can I turn off at night and run 12 hrs per day?

Refresh my memory - last time you checked CYA you were at 50? If so, you can let it drift down a bit since you aren’t SLAMming yet, or you can keep where it is. How does your filter pressure look? Personally I would just keep it running unless you are concerned about electric Bill. you’ll keep it running 24/7 when you SLAM.

Refresh my memory - last time you checked CYA you were at 50? If so, you can let it drift down a bit since you aren’t SLAMming yet, or you can keep where it is. How does your filter pressure look? Personally I would just keep it running unless you are concerned about electric Bill. you’ll keep it running 24/7 when you SLAM.
Yes cya was 50. My filter pressure looks good about 120 on the guage.
Thanks very much.

Reactions: kellyfair
So it's finally warming up in MN.
Fc -2
Cc .5
Ph 7
Ta 160
Ch 130
Cya 20? To top of vial last # is 30
My pool is finally starting to clear, I can see the bottom today tho still cloudy. It looks like gray, dead algae in spots on bottom. I added the 4c and 7oz bleach yest. Any suggestions on what next? Try to adjust ph or try to get chlorine up or both together? Well at least an hr apart?
Thank you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks very much
Ok so I believe I am done slamming, my CC is .5 , the water is clear now, and the past 2 nights I have only lost 1 ppm of chlorine. Thank you all very much! The rest of testing is:
FC 12
CC .5
CYA 30
PH 7.4
TA 190
CH 350
Pool math says I shld add 31 Oz of dry acid. I only have liquid. How much of that would I add? Or do I not add anything until FC comes down? Thanks in advance.

Select the acid you have in Poolmath. Dry acid is not a preferred method to lower pH, muriatic acid is.

I would wait until your FC is below 10 to test pH. Then if it is 7.6 or greater, add acid to lower it to 7.2.

Reactions: cmb12355
Select the acid you have in Poolmath. Dry acid is not a preferred method to lower pH, muriatic acid is.

I would wait until your FC is below 10 to test pH. Then if it is 7.6 or greater, add acid to lower it to 7.2.
Thanks very much! For some reason acid was grayed out and my only choice was dry. But I'll try again later if needed. Thanks again!

I think I'm there w/lots of one handed scrubbing and bleach. Thank you so much for the advice! OCLT has been good all week....if I see some dirt on floor I get nervous but not losing more than 1ppm for last several nights. Question you had mentioned my CYA target after slamming would be 50 but pool math has said 30. Which is better? I haven't done any testing since yest but that's what it said then. Just know I am very happy with TFP so far and feel I have learned some stuff....far from confident tho. 😊 I took more of a close up but keeps saying file too large.

Attachments

• 20210607_160450.jpg
    20210607_160450.jpg
    856.5 KB · Views: 5
I think I'm there w/lots of one handed scrubbing and bleach. Thank you so much for the advice! OCLT has been good all week....if I see some dirt on floor I get nervous but not losing more than 1ppm for last several nights. Question you had mentioned my CYA target after slamming would be 50 but pool math has said 30. Which is better? I haven't done any testing since yest but that's what it said then. Just know I am very happy with TFP so far and feel I have learned some stuff....far from confident tho. 😊 I took more of a close up but keeps saying file too large.
Geez doesn't look like a very good pic...can you delete a post off here? 🙄

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.