tfsnell

May 2, 2021
The Woodlands , TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I bought a Superior Pump 1/4 hp. It didn’t work — it kept tripping my GFI. I am looking for a different pump. Any suggestions?

Also, I read “Drain your pool — further reading” on this forum. Why is it suggested to put the fill hose in the skimmer? Thanks.

Suspect you have a problem with that sump pump. Return it. I have a 1/2 hp Superior I use all the time.

If your pool water is much cooler than your fill water or you have very high CH and/or a saltwater pool, then pumping from the deep end and filling at surface is the best way for those conditions. Putting the hose in the skimmer keeps it from disturbing the interface of the two waters.

Thank you mknauss. I’ll try a Superior Pump 1/3 or 1/2 hp and pump from deep end. If my water level is above skimmers and I put fill hose into shallow skimmer, I guess the fill water will flow out of skimmer into the shallow end since the pump will be off.

I guess the fill water will flow out of skimmer into the shallow end since the pump will be off.
It will, but as Marty said if your pool water is much cooler than your fill water, it will mostly stay on top. Filling from the skimmer just helps preserve that by minimizing disturbance.

By the way, I have the Superior 1/2 HP pump as well and recommend it. I’d get the bigger one for sure as you won’t get the advertised flow rate out of your pool and you’ll want as much as you can get.

Thanks. Marty and Craig (and anyone else) ... with a 1/2 HP utility pump, is the flow going out of the pool about the same as the fill rate if your fill hose is full on. When I get a new pump, I’ll check it, but just wondering what your experience has been?

Most sump pumps run through a 3/4" hose (50' long) will get you about 5-7 gpm. A hose from a spigot will get you that or bit more.

When you get things set up, and the sump pump running, fill a 5 gallon bucket with the effluent hose and time it. That will give you an idea of your drain flow rate. Then start a hose from one spigot and do the same. See if they come close. Just make sure that the effluent is a bit greater than the inflow overnight.

Your pump may have been tripping the GFI if the outdoor outlet is on the same circuit as another heavy appliance like a refrigerator. A larger pump is not going to fix that. Can you test the pump you have on another outlet?

Most sump pumps run through a 3/4" hose (50' long) will get you about 5-7 gpm. A hose from a spigot will get you that or bit more.

When you get things set up, and the sump pump running, fill a 5 gallon bucket with the effluent hose and time it. That will give you an idea of your drain flow rate. Then start a hose from one spigot and do the same. See if they come close. Just make sure that the effluent is a bit greater than the inflow overnight.
Thanks Marty

Your pump may have been tripping the GFI if the outdoor outlet is on the same circuit as another heavy appliance like a refrigerator. A larger pump is not going to fix that. Can you test the pump you have on another outlet?
Thanks. Good point. The outdoor outlet is on the same circuit as part of the house. I may try the GFI outlet in the garage and see if it works.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.