Draining pool- need help!

Aug 2, 2017
Queen Creek, AZ
pool is 20'x40' in-ground, pebbletec interior, 10x10 spa built into corner of the rectangle (which overflows into pool).
Live in Arizona so intense heat and high use of chlorine tablets for summertime temps of 115 degrees has driven up my stats to terrible levels.

Just measured and I am at: FC 6, 0 cc, 7.4 PH (probably due to scrubbing tiles yesterday in futile attempt to remove calcium deposit) TA 90, cya so high i can't measure it (guessing 120) and get this- calcium of 725!!!
The pool is draining now- given the cya and calcium there was no other choice- the water is 3 years old next month.

Questions are these:
1. How do I get the calcium build up off my tiles? I tried it all- pumice stone scrubbing -3hrs did nothing over 2 ft area, razor blade scraping, calcium remover, vinegar sprayed on, baking soda paste- it was all a joke! Didn't touch it. Friend who cleans pools said diamond blasting is the only way to get it off. Is this legit? I'm sure that will be expensive. Even the razor blade didn't do anything so I'm not sure what else I can try?
2. How do I keep this from happening again if I am using chlorine pucks? I get whatever is at Costco and supplement with liquid chlorine from home depot in the winter months. During the summer- I can't afford to use liquid only chlorine in the heat of summer as I'd burn through 3 gallons a day.
Calcium shot up in last 8 months- it was running 350 for quite some time....
3. Regarding treating my refill water- should I add CYA right away or wait for it to climb on its own? Given how high my calcium was I figure there is enough residual in the walls to not need to add any calcium right away.
4. Can someone tell me the best way to get my levels right on a re-fill? This is the first time I am doing them on my own and I'm not sure if I should use liquid or tab or both. I can handle the acid for PH but wonder if I should add calcium and cya given how high /fast they climb when I use the pucks.
Any advise would be helpful!

I am feeling frustrated that I let my levels get this high- but you can't drain your pool here in the hot summer months (May-October) and I missed that window- so I waited until now. Maybe I will just have to drain my water every two years and settle for that due to the heat here..... Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong?

1. Easiest and most successful is to hire a company to soda or kieserite blast the scale off.
2. Install a SaltWater Chlorine Generator. Best, by far, way to add chlorine to a pool. Most comfortable swimming experience you will ever have.
3. You will need to add CYA if you do a full drain and refill. Start at 40 ppm. CH, if your fill water is typical, will be at 250+ppm to start. So no need for calcium.
4. Use granular CYA, liquid chlorine, and muriatic acid. See Recommended Levels

Do you have a home water softener? If so, using soft water for make up water in the future will keep the calcium issue handled. Using a SWCG will keep the CYA issue handled.

silly question here- is pebbletec considered fiberglass? it's not vinyl or plaster but its concrete and stones so how can it be fiberglass?? I have to enter one of the three to get Pool Math values and there is no option for pebbletec.
Pebbletec is plaster + pebbles, so use plaster. Fiberglass pools are usually pre-formed drop in types.

Chlorine is king. Start dissolving CYA using the sock method. Add acid to keep ph in the 7’s.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.