Draining for high CYA, anything I should do before refilling?

Memnok

Jul 6, 2018
Turlock, CA
As the title says, I'm draining the pool due to very high CYA. We purchased this house late last summer and had our local Leslie's Pool test the water on several occasions. Every time the CYA came back very high, (200+), and they recommended draining the pool to reduce the numbers. That seems to be the consensus while readingg though TFP too. I've already begun to plan for the new water, my tap water is about 7.8 ph and between 90 & 100 for TA.

Anything I should consider doing while the pool is empty? I do have some excessive calcium on the tile, but other than that, no algae or other problems to speak of.

Clint

Hi Clint and welcome! :wave: Well, since you are doing a total drain, just try to keep it short & quick as we never like to see plaster expsoed and/or a pool empty without structural support for too long. If you need to hit the tiles with a pumice stone or mixture of muriatic acid and a brush, do so carefully and test the areas as you go to ensure the results are to your liking. Remember that CYA only comes from products like tabs/pucks, pool store bags of shock, and/or by adding it on purpose (i.e. conditioner or granular stabilizer). If you don't have a salt water generator, I'm assumig you are adding chlorine/bleach manually, so stay away from that tabs/pucks and bags of shock from the pool store once you know your CYA is at a good summertime level (i.e. 40-50). Speaking of which, please make sure to update your signature. It will help a lot later. Make sure to see our Pool School section to the left and read/save those Vital Links below in my signature. They will help as well. Have a great day. :swim:

It might be a little late now, since you’re already in the process of draining, but tbh I’m not sure that I (or many people here) would trust the numbers from leslie’s. Especially for something as drastic as a drain and refill. You would be better off getting one of the recommended test kits and confirming the numbers for yourself, and you will definitely want your own test kit when you refill the pool so you can balance the chemistry correctly with the new water.

Reactions: Texas Splash
You would be better off getting one of the recommended test kits and confirming the numbers for yourself,
Absolutely! Thanks @Brett S. I neglected to mention that in my note above. We typically recommend either a TF-100 (my favorite) or the Taylor K-2006C. But you definately what one of those as you move forward with the new water. Definately don't trust anyone else's water tests. See the TF-100 link below in my sig.

Thanks for the responses, I've been lurking for a while, and not trusting Leslie's seems to be a common thread. I've been hitting the sides with a hose as it drains to keep things from trying out too badly. Also picked an overcast day to stop the direct sunlight from hammering the plaster. I'd like to empty and refill as quickly as possible.

Clint

Got the pool refilled over night and did some initial tests & adjustments this morning. Ran the pump all day and took a sample to get tested after work. The results are much better, CYA went from 200+ down to 40. I did dump way too much chlorine in, but nobody will be in the pool for at least another month or two, so it will come down in plenty of time. I still have 8 or so bags of Power Powder Plus that I'll use till they are gone and then switch to bleach/liquid chlorine.

WaterTest.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.