Draining attached spa

thecabana

Jul 24, 2022
Austin, TX
Hi! This is probably a beginners question so my apologies. I need to reduce the water level in my attached spa to access the jets to change them. I'm attaching photos of my plumbing. Do I just switch the drain from pool to spa mode, but not switch the returns? So it displaces the spa water to the pool?

BONUS QUESTION:
Is there a way to run the spa jets AND pool returns? Will having the valve pointed in the middle do that? When it gets below freezing, it would be ideal to have water running through both. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_1644.jpeg
    IMG_1644.jpeg
    547.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1645.jpeg
    IMG_1645.jpeg
    532.2 KB · Views: 2
Do I just switch the drain from pool to spa mode, but not switch the returns?
Yes.

BONUS QUESTION:
Is there a way to run the spa jets AND pool returns? Will having the valve pointed in the middle do that? When it gets below freezing, it would be ideal to have water running through both.

You could. But then you have water flowing over your spa spillway that can freeze on the tile and cause other problems.

Yes.

You could. But then you have water flowing over your spa spillway that can freeze on the tile and cause other problems.
Thank you!

The climate I live in, running water likely won't ever freeze - including the spillover - so it's more about keeping everything moving. We only have 1-2 freezes a year, and they're not usually sustained for more than a day or so.

The climate I live in, running water likely won't ever freeze - including the spillover - so it's more about keeping everything moving. We only have 1-2 freezes a year, and they're not usually sustained for more than a day or so.

The water sitting on the spillover surface is not running.

What type of surface is on your spillover and spa wall?

Water sitting on the spillway will get into cracks in the grout, freeze, and crumble grout and cause tiles to pop off.