Draining and Re-Filling Pool In AZ ???

May 25, 2016
Phoenix/AZ
I've cut off the local pool store after my pool just couldn't stay blue. Ordered my new test kit in order to SLAM and CYA was through through the roof. Pool Calculator suggests draining 70-80% of pool.

I'm in the process of draining the pool using a cheap Harbor Freight pump but it's slow going. May not be done for another 24 hours, then the refill. The pool is older but refinished in pebble-tec about 6 years ago. I plan to start the SLAM as soon as it's full again.

Questions:

Should I be worried about the pool cracking? My wife is wetting the sides about every hour or so. The high temp today and tomorrow is only supposed to be 86.
Should I just drain it all the way even though the calc suggests 80%? The algae is pretty bad and when I refill the pool will just be green again. Ironically, even though we're in the desert, it won't cost much to refill the pool.

Pool is 15,000 gallons est. with an 8ft deep end.

Thanks in advance.

If the cost is not too much, I would rather drain it all and power wash the whole pool and start fresh.
It would only take a few more hours of your time and your pool chemistry with fresh water is a breeze.
Its up to you.

Felipe

CYA was above readable. I estimated 150-200 which equated to 70-80% of the pool according to the calculator. I did not read about the dilution option until I already committed to draining the pool. Last summer even Leslie's recommended I drain the pool before offering to sell me more chemicals. Being stubborn, I opted against it and asked for more chemicals. I learned the hard way...

Reactions: brettduke
I drained my entire pool over the weekend to removed CyA. I'm in Phoenix and it was over 95+. I borrowed the pump from my realtor, and will say that a good pump is the way to do it to avoid problems. To avoid the heat, I started at 4:30pm Friday and pool was drained by 10:30pm. I immediately turned on my hose and pool float filler and went to bed Woke up at 5am, got my neighbor to borrow me his hoses and ended up having pool refilled from 3 hoses plus my pool float. It was filled by noon Saturday and I was swimming by Sunday.

If I were you, I would get a quality pump. The ones that use a backflush hose and not a garden hose. I know Home Depot rents pumps that people say are fast. Also, use as many water sources as you can to refill.

Lastly, don't turn on pool light while water is below it. I learned the hard way and now have another "project" in future.

If your CYA turned out to be around 150, draining and refill 1/2 would get you to 75...perfect for an SWG pool. If your pool is not SWG, a 50% drain followed by another 50% drain should get it around 40 or so and that's a good starting point for a manually chlorinated pool.

Contrary to what many think, A complete drain doesn't get rid of all the algae....you will still have to SLAM.

Thanks. Yes, it's a non SWG pool. Dave - You think 50% followed by another 50% is better than 100%. I will SLAM either way. With the 50 and 50 I assume I wouldn't SLAM until after the second fill??

It's pretty swampy...

I am draining into my sewer clean out to avoid getting turned into the city by my neighbors. No HOA but our "Block Watch" might as well be one. I think the large pumps available at HD will be too much water for my sewer clean out.

You think 50% followed by another 50% is better than 100%.
It's just safer. Your conditions you describe see fine for 100% drain but if we tell you that and your pool pops up, we have done you a big disservice.

The 50/50 drain process uses more water but, surprisingly, not that much if you do the math.

I live in Phoenix, and drain and refill every 3 years when solids number gets high! Rent a pump at Home Depot at the half day rate after 6 pm, returning it the next morning! Plenty of time to drain! Drain to street after dark, nobody will likely care! If you have algae problems, should pressure wash before refilling!

I just did this a month ago. Full drain with home dept rental pump and pressure wash. Finished drain around 10pm and started to refill with 3 hoses.

During the day, try to hose down any part of the plaster that is not underwater to keep it cooler.

This weekend would have been a good time with the cooler weather coming in

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm in Gilbert, AZ. I drain my pool using the pool pump and backwash it straight into my sewer clean-out plug on the side of the house. I rig the skimmer so all water is pulled only from the main drain and I never stop the pump once the water level is below the skimmer until the whole pool is drained or I'll lose the prime at the pump. Most people will tell you that process for draining is risky to the pump and it is if you don't pay attention to what you are doing. If you want to be safe, go rent a big pump and get it drained quickly. Don't rent a wimpy pump and wait two days for it to finally do the job.

I would drain it entirely and use an oscillating yard sprinkler on a garden hose to keep the surface wet if you worry about it drying out. That is a concern around here with the heat, dry air and wind we've had lately. This weekend should be a good opportunity with temps only in the mid 80's predicted.

I used the sewer clean out from my subpump using backwash hose. The way I did it to make sure all went down the sewer was I connected the end of my backwash hose to 1 in a half inch pvc pipe that forms an L shape. You will need to attach the clips to keep or secure. Then put the pvc pipe in the sewer drain.

Make sure you pump it to the clean out that goes away from house. Usually there are two and the one you want is closest to your house. I wouldn't do it if your house drain out is attached to wall of house. Also, to be safe that it's not backing up, check that your toilets and bathroom sinks aren't filling up.

I wouldn't do it if your house drain out is attached to wall of house. Also, to be safe that it's not backing up, check that your toilets and bathroom sinks aren't filling up.

I've used the clean out on the bathroom exterior wall for close to 5 years now. Obviously you should check inside to be sure you aren't overflowing a toilet or bathtub. Before that, I used those roll-up blue backwash hoses run through the patio door and into the bathroom straight into the toilet bowl. That home has a tiny rear yard and I can't drain a pool there or into the street without issues.

You have another option, contact a Pool water RO service (reverse osmosis). They run two large hoses pumping water out, filter and return never leaving your pool empty no matter the temp. outside.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.