Draining a pool with a garden hose

Jul 6, 2017
Lynn, MA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I suppose I could use a bare garden hose as a simple siphon to drain the pool. But ideally, I would like to somehow attach a garden hose to the filter or to a vacuum line to drain. There are times I need to drain the pool, like after a rainy week. It would be nice to be efficient and water my lawn and plants with the drained water. In the past I have used a vacuum hose to do that, but it doesn't reach very far. I can reach a lot farther with the garden hoses I already own.

The only post I see on the topic is here:
Garden Hose Adapter Pool Draining

Unfortunately, no link was provided so I am unsure where to find a part like that. My waste port is built in such as way that it can currently have a vacuum hose attached, but not a garden hose. My waste port adapter currently looks exactly like this:

Amazon.com: Waterway Plastics 806105086891 Clearwater Sand Filter Waste Port Adapter: Garden & Outdoor

Can anyone find a 1.5" to 0.75" (garden hose) adapter anywhere? I found something on Home Depot that is close but it's 1.25" instead:

Everbilt 1-1/4 in. Polypropylene MIP Garden Hose Adapter-EBMGHA125 - The Home Depot

Last edited:
Have you considered a submersible pump? I use mine whenever I have to drain water from the pool.

My above-ground pool is only 12 feet in diameter. A submersible pump isn't necessary. I just drain it with a hose when it's a few inches too high. Right now I use the vaccuum hose attached to the sand filter when I want to drain it. I only drain it passively, not by pumping it out.

After doing a bit more research, I found that Home Depot has many reducer adapters. The key word is "reducer." They have all different sizes. I'll check it out when I go there soon and report back.

Take pictures and or parts to your local plumbing supply store. They will go in the back and come out with some concoction of parts that will do what you need. Sometimes it needs to be reduced 2 or 3 times if the way you need it isn’t common, But they will figure it out.

While I didn't ask for an associate, I was at Home Depot Yesterday. I found parts to reduce the 1.5" down to 1.0", but there were no parts to reduce that further down to 0.75" with a male thread.. So I am still on a quest. I'll check what Lowe's has too or, as you suggested, go to a plumbing supply.

You could reduce down from 1-1/2" to 1-1/4" and then use this adapter:

Shows it as in stock for my local home depot

You could reduce down from 1-1/2" to 1-1/4" and then use this adapter:

Shows it as in stock for my local hom
You can now buy items in as little as one step. Just look for the Instant Checkout option while shopping to quickly order items using your info.

e depot

I saw that part online but forgot about it. It's not in the plumbing section so I didn't see it when I was shopping for the reducer. Yes, a 1.5" to 1.25" reducer coupled with that Everbilt adapter should do the trick. I ordered those parts for store pickup and I'll see how it works soon. My pool tends to fill up over the season and needs occasional draining due to my judicious use of a solar cover.

Using a garden hose in the waste port should be fine for passive draining of the pool. My only other question is though, is it okay to use it for active draining (i.e. backwashing)? Or could forcing water through a smaller garden hose while backwashing damage the pump or sand filter?

Not sure but if it will damage anything but it will definitely cause a pressure increase and make the pump work harder. If you have a variable speed pump I would pump out the water on a very low speed. If you have a single speed pump I would be especially cautious.

Is it possible to use the hose in a siphon-type setup? Use the pump to prime the hose and let gravity do the rest??

Edit - just saw you specifically mentioned backwashing so a siphon setup wouldn't work. Reducing down from 1-1/2" to 3/4" is a big drop, if it was me I would try it out and if the pump made any weird noise or any leaks developed I would stop immediately but it's definitely taking a risk.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.