Drained pool and there is two drains not sure where my plug is?

fidn37484

May 19, 2024
inland california
both drains are identical. I removed cage and ring mount and there is a 8-10 inch diameter acrilic looking puck it’s like aqua blue looking but faded and 1 pvc pipe in the middle. Both are identical. Is that giant puck surrounding the pvc pipe my plug? One time use plug? What am I supposed to do?

Can you provide some pictures? I’m assuming you’re looking for the hydrostatic relief valve? What are you wanting to accomplish?

Can you provide some pictures? I’m assuming you’re looking for the hydrostatic relief valve? What are you wanting to accomplish?
Just pressure relief if there’s pressure just in case. Drought area low table water doubt much but a lot of surface area. Imagine a bowl of of some aqua blue acrylic or cement it’s hard cured and in the middle of that is a white pvc pipe sticking out. They are identical for both drains are these things. Do I tug on the pvc end it doesn’t really look like it’s suppose to come out but maybe.

Pictures would really help. Hydrostatic relief valves are spring loaded. They will stay closed unless there is enough water pressure behind it to open it. If you gently lift the top and it comes up and then springs back closed it’s fine, that’s what it’s is supposed to do. The valve assembly itself is usually threaded into a fitting lower than the valve top itself to allow replacement. Post some pics of what you have.

It’s difficult to tell much from the pics, but those appear to be just main drains running back to your pad with no hydro’s. Is that material around the pipe hard?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Chances are there is no hydrostatic valve.
In many areas with a low water tavle, no hydrostaticvalve is installed.

You have dual main drains, which are plumbed to a single main drain line. The main drain line either runs to your skimmer or back to the equipment pad.

If the acrylic looking stuff is hard, leave it alone.

Is your plan to refill the pool or leave ot empty?
If you intend to refill, replade the drain covers and start filling the pool.
You don't want to leave the pool surface exposed to air and allowed to dry out.

It’s difficult to tell much from the pics, but those appear to be just main drains running back to your pad with no hydro’s. Is that material around the pipe hard?
Yup it’s hard, left one off centered like room in the housing for a plug. I’m thinking the pool builders did it. a plug within a plug. You build out pools and if people get leaks they have to fix em with all that water in there and you do two plugs odds of leak closer to zero , my guess. I can’t relieve pressure which sucks unless I break it. I hope there’s a plug in there not just some sketchy home made plug

If there was ever a hydro in there, which I‘d highly doubt, it would have been rendered useless by the material filling the sump. Assume you have no hydros and act accordingly.

Where in "inland california" are you? Update your profile with "<city>, CA"
Suggestions you receive are usually based on location - and Palm Springs weather conditions can be way different than somewhere in an inland mountainous area.

Unless you have a high water table, you probably won't have a hydrostatic relief valve.