Irvine, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-15
As mentioned in my signature, I have a 15K gal pool that is at least 25 years old. It's never been resurfaced in that 25 years certainly. Plaster is showing signs of wear, and I want to rework the deck, so later this year or early next, I'm in for a big overhaul.

The last few years I've been traveling substantially, so hired a pool-person, who turns out to not have been all that on the ball. This week I got a Taylor K-2006 test set, and the best I can determine is that my CYA is somewhere around 400-500 (extrapolating, it's way off scale in any case) and FC is somewhere around 45-50. (Yesterday I learned from *this site* that's about the right level of FC for that level of CYA, so thanks TFP for already teaching me something useful!) Not surprisingly, I have an algae bloom that we're fighting to get under control, though it's fading slowly.

The caution I had from one pool remodeling company is that if I were to drain the pool at this age, there is a risk of de-lamination, or plaster coming off the wall. There's no evidence of cracking or loose plaster that I can see, other than just wear. I'd like the pool to be usable and manageable for now, and not rush into the remodel.

Southern California temps over the next week are supposed to stay low-mid 70s. How much risk is there in draining and refilling?

Many thanks-
David

Total chemistry from last nights test, feel free to offer suggestions if a refill not the optimal choice:

FC : 53
pH : 8
TA : 110
CH : 580
CYA : 400 (estimated)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.