Drain free pool cover

NJpool82

Jun 5, 2020
North New Jersey
Hello,

I am doing a pool closing for the first time and bought the following cover. I am in the northeast and am wondering if this is a mistake.

1. Is drilling into the pool posts going to rust them out? We have a slat water above ground pool.
2. How does the water leave the pool? What happens if the skimmer freezes?
3. If rainwater goes into and out of a pool would that dilute the chemicals?

1. Not if you use stainless screws or alternatively you could use stakes in the ground to attach the straps instead of screwing something into your pool
2. You could use a skimmer cover plate & a gizmo in the skimmer, plug your returns, & lower your water level so you have some room for more water.
Some find they need to use a submersible pump to drain pool water if they have large amounts of rain. You just have to keep an eye on it.
3. Yes, it will dilute the the chlorine over time. If you close after the water temp is 60degrees or less, @ slam level, use polyquat, & open before the water temp reaches 60 degrees in the spring you should be ok.
I personally go out & grab a water sample about 1/2 way through the winter to see where I stand as far as fc goes. It looks like it would be pretty easy to take a peek w/ that cover.

1. Not if you use stainless screws or alternatively you could use stakes in the ground to attach the straps instead of screwing something into your pool
2. You could use a skimmer cover plate & a gizmo in the skimmer, plug your returns, & lower your water level so you have some room for more water.
Some find they need to use a submersible pump to drain pool water if they have large amounts of rain. You just have to keep an eye on it.
3. Yes, it will dilute the the chlorine over time. If you close after the water temp is 60degrees or less, @ slam level, use polyquat, & open before the water temp reaches 60 degrees in the spring you should be ok.
I personally go out & grab a water sample about 1/2 way through the winter to see where I stand as far as fc goes. It looks like it would be pretty easy to take a peek w/ that cover.
Thanks! That's very helpful

I have an eliminator which is basically the Canadian version of this and love it. My pool has plastic posts and it doesn't seem to be a problem for the bungee cords.

Had the same cover on my old pool too and it did a great job. So much better than dealing with filthy water falling into the pool upon opening.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Do you have any issues with water getting dirty and growing algae? A friend told me I should have gotten a solid cover since this type of cover will let in rain and snow water.
You have a smart friend, SORRY. Depending on the rain / snow you get you will have to drain water off. Wouldn't it be much better to leave your treated pool water as it is and drain off from Outside the pool ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.