Fort Worth, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hi all, another Texan here losing my mind over this weather :LOL: Ive read in many of the other threads about being prepared for a power outage. I’m currently running my pump 24/7, but in worse case scenario of power outage/pump failure and I need to drain, what is the complete process? I know where the drain plugs are for both my filter and pump.

if power is out, and I can’t drain to the skimmer, could I brace the skimmer door in the closed position and try to remove as much water as possible? What happens now to all the water in the pipes still for my system? High likely hood of them freezing or does the removal of pressure from the system allow enough air in there to hopefully provide enough room for expansion?

im contemplating just draining today so I don’t have to be stressed out for the next week, but am worried that may create more long term problems than taking my chances of leaving things running.

The complete process of draining, i'd probably follow the closing process Closing an In Ground Pool - Trouble Free Pool start at the "drain" section. This will include blowing out your pipes as well

In terms of the skimmer, I would go ahead and get some Gizzmo's, they are specifically built to take the brunt of freeze damage rather than the skimmer. Know Home Depot has them in my area, I'm sure you can call around some big box stores and see if they have them. It's definitely a good idea to have them just in case, even if you will never use them after this

Pipes freezing, it really depends how long the cold front will last and how cold it actually will be that whole time. But if power does go out, that will be worst case scenario that water is still in the pipes, because they could potentially freeze. If majority of your pipes are underground, that will be some extra protection.

Trust me, I get stressed every time i close the pool, so that is normal, but if you do decide to drain, the process is pretty easy and straightforward. The hardest part is covering the pool so you dont have to worry about that since it's only temporary

Gizmos.......Home Depot has them in my area, I'm sure you can call around some big box stores and see if they have them
This is something that the pool store will probably have also. And in times like these, if theirs happens to be $2 more, pay it with a smile and THANK them.

Thanks, I appreciate the response. I had read that article, but am really trying to ride this out with the pump running. In the event of a power outage, I’d lose the ability to drain the pool and blow out the lines. so right now my plan would be to pull the plugs on the filter and pump, open all of the returns to allow air in to the system, and try and block off water to the skimmer. Probably a fat chance, but I’m definitely going to check a few depots and see if they have that gizmo in stock.

In a pinch a torn up pool noodle places into the skimmer will help too if you can’t find a gizmo
Im waiting on my pool store to open, but HD not carrying the gizmos in store. If I have to go this pool noodle route, do I just wedge it horizontally in the skimmer or does it need to be pushed in to one of the suction ports?

Be sure to turn off the breaker to the pool if you decide to drain everything. You don't want the power turning on when everything is empty. For the skimmers, you can also use 2 liter soda bottles filled 1/2-3/4 with anti-freeze. Drop them in the skimmer and they will help the impending ice situation too. I have Marine/RV anti-freeze from Walmart. Good luck!

Reactions: PaigeMark
Be sure to turn off the breaker to the pool if you decide to drain everything. You don't want the power turning on when everything is empty. For the skimmers, you can also use 2 liter soda bottles filled 1/2-3/4 with anti-freeze. Drop them in the skimmer and they will help the impending ice situation too. I have Marine/RV anti-freeze from Walmart. Good luck!

Good call. I like to think I would have thought to turn the breaker off but I hadn't;t thought of it yet, and in the moment, could have easily overlooked. The antifreeze in a soda bottle makes a ton of sense too, thank you. Might prep that now just in case.

Reactions: Lilypad
Im waiting on my pool store to open, but HD not carrying the gizmos in store. If I have to go this pool noodle route, do I just wedge it horizontally in the skimmer or does it need to be pushed in to one of the suction ports?
You’ll just start tearing it into larger pieces and shoving it into the skimmer itself. This will mostly fill the skimmer up with the noodles and not as much water. Then if/when the water starts the freeze that’s in the skimmer the noodles will become the weak point of the system and allow the ice room to expand……rather than the skimmer being the weak point.

Reactions: wedward

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You’ll just start tearing it into larger pieces and shoving it into the skimmer itself. This will mostly fill the skimmer up with the noodles and not as much water. Then if/when the water starts the freeze that’s in the skimmer the noodles will become the weak point of the system and allow the ice room to expand……rather than the skimmer being the weak point.

That makes a ton of sense, thank you. Appreciate this forum so much and how kind everyone is. Cant wait to get back to the fun stuff of water balance, etc while enjoying a cold one pool side. Thanks again.

You can duct tape them together like a dynamite cake and put the skimmer back on with something to weigh it down

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.