Silver Supporter
Jul 6, 2018
Pittsburgh/PA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I like to use chlorine in the tub (tried bromine, hated it) but I believe I missed the first step on the last fill and have had issues with water balance since.
I'm ready to throw this thing over the hill so I'm here to get some help.
I just cleaned with Ahhsome and drained the tub. 350 gallons.
I purchase Leisure time 56 to use on the fill. Is this the correct stuff?
Then balance the water accordingly?

I've read and reread a lot of posts including the how to use chlorine in your hot tub thread.
I have baking soda to raise the TA, muriatic acid to lower it and liquid chlorine for when we exit the tub.
I have a Taylor K 2006 test kit.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

What is Leisure Time 56?

If you are following the sticky for using chlorine in a hot tub/spa, you are to start with dichlor until your CYA gets to 30 ppm, then switch to bleach.

Leisure Time Spa 56 Chlorine Granules (Sodium Dichlor)

I tried to search brands of dichlor on here since I have never used it and do not know what I'm looking for, but there have been no brand names mentioned. If there is a recommended brand, please let me know.
ingred-leisuretime-56-chlorine-granules.jpg

I checked numbers this morning
FC - 3
Ph ~6.8 it was yellow below the 7.0 color
TA - 70
CH -130
CYA - a little below 20, I can still see the black dot but it’s very faint.

Should I add more dichlor to it bring up the CYA then switch to liquid chlorine? I have the jets on now to see is the PH will come up. Any other suggestions?

Only add dichlor when you need to raise FC. Once you have reached 30 ppm CYA, switch to bleach.
The dichlor is acidic so it is lowering your pH.

Yes I’m using pool math. I’m just very confused by reading so many different things. Yesterday was the first time I’m using dichlor.

So add more dichlor until CYA hits 30ppm then switch to liquid chlorine. Keep aerating to bring the ph back up? Then dichlor should not be needed until I drain and refill again correct?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You use dichlor to maintain your FC until you reach a CYA of 30. Dichlor adds both chlorine and CYA.

Your TA will fall as you add dichlor. It is acidic. Acid lowers TA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.