DPD Powder is clumping, and why do we need a "chlorine only" cylinder?

bigorangesky

Aug 5, 2021
South Georgia
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I've had the TF-100 for about 8 months, but my pool build just finished a month ago. The DPD Powder has some hard clumps and seems to give inconsistent results unless I scoop the real powdery bits. Should I replace it?

Also, I'm curious why we need a separate cylinder just for the DPD-FAS test? Can you not just rinse it out? I've also been using the little scooper to stir the other tests, will that cause problems?

Thanks!

You can crush up the R0870 a bit if possible. Once it turns dark, it is time to replace it. It is very effected by moisture, so keep the kit in a dry, climate controlled environment.
Do not use the scoop for any thing but the powder. Get a SmartStir for your testing. Makes a huge difference.
The cylinder will get clouded from the R0870. So we recommend using a separate cylinder for FC testing. Clean it with alcohol.

Reactions: gingrbredman
The DPD Powder has some hard clumps and seems to give inconsistent results unless I scoop the real powdery bits
Break up the clumps and it should be fine if it's still white-ish. If it's gone Grey you probably want to replace it. Humidity does it in so try and keep that in mind when handling/storing. A week after opening my new kit, something was delivered with two little silica packs so I put them and the powder tub in a zip lock to hopefully help some.
I'm curious why we need a separate cylinder just for the DPD-FAS test?
The powder can stain the vial over time which won't matter for the FC test but might make the others a bit tricky to see the lesser color changes. Hot pink to clear on the FC tests is easy norther what.

If the vial stains it can usually be cleaned with alcohol but they throw in an extra one just for that so it doesn't need to be cleaned frequently.

*edit* I got Marty'd. What he said.

I can add to this a little.

1. The "chlorine only" cylinder is for your convenience and to keep that precise test separated from the other tests. Alcohol or muriatic acid will clean it easily if it stains dark.

2. As already said, don't stir any chemistry with the blue spoon/dipper........keep it with the FAS/DPD powder but nothing else.

3. As long as the solution turns pink when you add the powder, the powder is good regardless of color, That means white powder is best, grey powder is fine. charcoal grey, lumpy powder is time to replace.

Reactions: Newdude
Thanks for the tips, I'll keep the scoop out of other tests from now on. I keep my kit inside the house but maybe the scoop was wet a few times, causing the clumping. Here's a picture, is this grey or white? Looks grey to me, but I have no reference ...

16577243891552131946525677469613.jpg

Thanks for the tips, I'll keep the scoop out of other tests from now on. I keep my kit inside the house but maybe the scoop was wet a few times, causing the clumping. Here's a picture, is this grey or white? Looks grey to me, but I have no reference ...

View attachment 435468
That looks done to me, but best to crush the big rocks. Best not to put a wet scooper in there for next time.

I just fill a big measuring cup with water and bring it in the house to do all the testing. I use a small liquid medicine applicator/plunger thingy to suck up water out of the measuring cup into the test beaker.

The K2006C comes with snap lids, which you have to watch snap tight. I've had a time where it didn't and barely opened, in case, in low humidity house, and still tried to clump a little. The one good thing I got from Leslies, a free squirting test bottle :), I fill and do my testing at my desk.

The one good thing I got from Leslies, a free squirting test bottle :), I fill and do my testing at my desk.

So the pool store does have a purpose LOL. I've thought about this, think we've got some in the kitchen. For me, its just annoying to sit on the side of the pool scooping water up to my elbow to run each test.

My powder still turns pink, so I guess still working. But I'll need more anyways. Found this page with some good info: FAS-DPD Chlorine Test

Thanks all!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Get a SmartStir for your testing. Makes a huge difference.
I wanted to say the "best" addition, but the whole kit is amazing, but the addition of the SmartStir makes it REALLY AMAZING. Could I swirl these beakers with my hand if needed? Sure I could, but so much more fun to watch the water swirl and change colors. But really, I do like the consistency the in mixing the reagents for each test. I even bought a few more "pills" and test tubes so I can just move along like an assembly line.

Alcohol or muriatic acid will clean it easily if it stains dark
Even if I didnt have the "chlorine only" label on my tube, I know which one it is based on the dark stains, but every so often do use rubbing alcohol and it cleans right up.

Reactions: Newdude
So the pool store does have a purpose LOL. I've thought about this, think we've got some in the kitchen. For me, its just annoying to sit on the side of the pool scooping water up to my elbow to run each test.

My powder still turns pink, so I guess still working. But I'll need more anyways. Found this page with some good info: FAS-DPD Chlorine Test

Thanks all!
The only thing missing is a rinse bucket, but that's not allowed in the house! So, a few trips to the kitchen sink is added to process.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.