Jun 8, 2020
Greenwood, SC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello!

I'm at my wit's end with my Doughboy Media Master sand filter. Our pump quit on us earlier this year, so we dropped in the replacement, but when we started it up, instead of a functional pool, we noticed an ominous blast of water from the sand filter, right at the V clamp. Tightening the clamp to spec (until ends are less than 3/8" apart) didn't resolve the issue - we got it as close as 1/4" after some elbow grease was applied, but no difference.

I figured we may have an O-ring issue at this point. (Part 17 in the doughboy manual here: https://doughboypools.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/OG-MEDIA-MASTER-1900-2200.pdf)

Replacement O-ring came in the mail today, lubricated it with silicon-based, popped it in, tightened to spec, and no change on the leak.

If it makes any difference, the leak consistently comes from the same side of the pump, even after rotating the O-ring and the clamp.

I'd love to hear any clever ideas about how we can get this leak under control :)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Good morning :) Yeah, the leak's still hanging around. You can see the water droplets hanging out where the spray occurs (pump is turned off in this photo)

PXL_20230613_134032170.jpg

Here's a photo of the leak in action:

PXL_20230613_134101272.MP.jpg

(The water leaking from below the valve cover only goes for a few seconds after turning on the pump, the larger leak is the one I'm worried about)

I saw that some filters will leak if the filter housing has gotten dirty enough, preventing a solid seal when closed. So my game plan for tomorrow is to open it up and clean it thoroughly, put in new sand, etc, and hope that resolves it.

But I'm definitely open to ideas/correction!

Thanks a bunch

Yikes! The pattern of that larger leak gives the appearance that the filter vessel itself is cracked. Optical illusion? Maybe just the way it's pushing out from under the O-ring & clamp.

Two other quick questions though:
1 - How old is this filter?
2 - Is the new pump the same HP as the old one?

Last edited:
If you zoom in on the first picture, the filter housing definitely appears cracked. If so, the filter needs to be replaced.

Yikes! The pattern of that larger leak gives the appearance that the filter vessel itself is cracked. Optical illusion? Maybe just the way it's pushing out from under the O-ring & clamp. We could try asking @1poolman1 is he thinks there is another solution other than just the O-ring and lube.

Two other quick questions though:
1 - How old is this filter?
2 - Is the new pump the same HP as the old one?
I'm not sure on the age. The pool came with the house when we bought it (2019), and the previous owners told us "you just put a tablet in once a month" when I asked about the equipment/maintenance, etc. That advice bit us good and TFP saved my bacon last summer with the chemical management. I'd guess it's ancient - I can't find this model of filter for sale anywhere!

Yeah, the pump is the same HP as the previous one, thankfully we were able to do a 1:1 replacement there.

I was suspicious it might be a crack in the pump but may have been blinded by hope a bit. Sounds like I may just need to bite the bullet and get a clean slate. At least I'll have a new pump to go with the new filter :)

Reactions: Texas Splash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.