Door Sensors

Just keep in mind it is highly unlikely that any of these door chime systems meet code. In almost all locales it requires either a barrier or an alarm. I know it’s common practice to remove the alarms as they are annoying but these little magnetic contact switches are not a replacement.

What requirements does your municipality have for safety systems for entry to the pool area? Be sure to check that.
Just keep in mind it is highly unlikely that any of these door chime systems meet code. In almost all locales it requires either a barrier or an alarm. I know it’s common practice to remove the alarms as they are annoying but these little magnetic contact switches are not a replacement.

+1 to these.
We just went through this because it turned out that the pool that was built 8 years (!!) before we bought the house never closed out their building permits, so we had to have final inspections on the pool (luckily, the plumbing and bonding had been done).
Current code for your situation likely requires special door alarms. Things things are universally terrible.
They require the code to be put in every time. If you open the door by accident, you can't just close it, you have to put the code in again. The alarm is really, really loud. Also, it will go off whenever it feels like even when the doors are closed and locked. Did I mention these were terrible?
We put them up for the inspection and then promptly took them off as our kids were too small to open the doors. We do have a security system on the doors that goes *ding ding* when the doors are opened, but this doesn't meet code.

In the end we got an automatic cover. This was not an inexpensive choice. However, this was the way that we really felt safe, not just with our doors, but while the kids were playing in the yard. It also keeps the sun off the pool (good for chlorine), keeps the leaves/debris out, etc.

Reactions: Mdragger88
They will definitely have swim lessons! Since we will have the pool accessible from the house I want multiple layers of safety. Swim lessons will be the final layer if everything else fails.

On a related note, are there any water disturbance sensors that are worth looking into?

You really need to look at what needs to be done to close out your pool permit. I have the same setup as you (entire property is fenced and house is used as a barrier). I need to have EVERY door that leads to the back yard alarmed and sound for at least 30-seconds and also an alarm in the pool to detect entry into the water. If I install an automatic pool cover, the previously mentioned items are not needed.

Good luck. A quick call to your building or permit department should be able to give your the requirements.

Edit - you may want to look into your fence gates to the back yard as well. Mine need to open out from the backyard and be self closing. Assuming your town has similar requirments.

You really need to look at what needs to be done to close out your pool permit. I have the same setup as you (entire property is fenced and house is used as a barrier). I need to have EVERY door that leads to the back yard alarmed and sound for at least 30-seconds and also an alarm in the pool to detect entry into the water. If I install an automatic pool cover, the previously mentioned items are not needed.

Good luck. A quick call to your building or permit department should be able to give your the requirements.

Edit - you may want to look into your fence gates to the back yard as well. Mine need to open out from the backyard and be self closing. Assuming your town has similar requirments.

+1. Find out what your City/Town requires. Mine follows the the 2009 IRC (Appendix G), but yours could be different.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.