dont want chemicals in my pool

Jul 4, 2017
manning sc
and why do i need them if only 2 people is enjoying th pool anyway.
My wife and I bought a 16x8x3.5 pool with filter kit and i hate chlorine ,so why do i need all these chemicals when i know there will be never more than the 2 of us in the pool

Leave the bathwater in the tub for a few days and reuse it several times. Then you'll know why.

Chlorine not only kills any bacteria and viruses and algae spores, it also oxidizes bather waste like sweat and dead skin cells.

Most likely the chlorine you object to is Combined Chloramine - that swimming pool smell. It's not a sign of too much chlorine, but not enough.

Take a picture of your pool today and then take another in a week and compare them and you will have answered your own question.

I know I'd never let my husband in the pool knowing I didn't adequately treat the water. He'd not want to get in it either knowing it's not been taken care off.

1bg,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all chlorine haters... :drown:

The reason you hate "chlorine" is because you have not had the opportunity to use a TFP maintained pool.

A well maintained TFP pool will not have anymore chlorine smell than your drinking water...

I suspect you are thinking of the smell that you find at a public pool... our pools sparkle, not smell... :p

In any case, if you decide to not add a sanitizer, like chlorine, to your pool, that is certainly your choice..

My only recommendation would be for you to bookmark this site, as you will soon be back with questions about how to turn a green swamp into a clear pool.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

If you're fine with the risk of bacteria and other nasties growing in the water you swim in, then you don't need chlorine or other chemicals. That risk could range from very low to very high -- hard to say. I'd prefer to err on the side of *no risk*, so I use chlorine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was a road warrior so for the most part swimming was in a hotel pool. second Im have an allergy to sun tan lotions and the chlorine drys me out so bad and and i burn easy. I like swimming in the rivers and lakes where water is natural and this is my first pool
just put the question out there .I have and intex pool with a single stage filter and a Krystal clear saltwater system that i started running this morning after 30 hrs of filter pump running to ensure salt was dissolved . my pool holds 2880 in water and i have put in 60 +- lbs of salt . the test strips that came with my system is reading borderline so im having local hardware store check it for me . thanks for the replies I just had to asked the question

I have and intex pool with a single stage filter and a Krystal clear saltwater system that i started running this morning after 30 hrs of filter pump running to ensure salt was dissolved . my pool holds 2880 in water and i have put in 60 +- lbs of salt .

Your saltwater system is chlorinating your pool -- you say you've added ~60 lbs of sodium chloride, and that will yield the chlorine necessary to sanitize your pool water.

You and I have the same pool (see my sig ... yours is a Prism Set too, right?), and I've got ~3,300 gallons in mine. Is yours all the way full?

Your saltwater system is chlorinating your pool -- you say you've added ~60 lbs of sodium chloride, and that will yield the chlorine necessary to sanitize your pool water.

You and I have the same pool (see my sig ... yours is a Prism Set too, right?), and I've got ~3,300 gallons in mine. Is yours all the way full?
I have an intex pool 16 x 8x 3.5 2880 gallons

- - - Updated - - -

So just got my water tested and my phosphate level was high as was alkaline . so im doing a shock with a 1oz of phosphate remover and 6 oz of shock based on my pool level and hopefully swimming by sunday

Not trying to be rude but for not wanting chemicals in your pool, you're doing just that with chemicals that aren't needed (PhosFree). I wish you the best on your pool adventures.

- - - Updated - - - 1oz of phosphate remover and 6 oz of shock

You are wasting your money. Phosphates are nothing to worry about. It is a gimmick to get you to buy PhosFree. On this forum, shock is a verb, not a product. Use household bleach and follow SLAM procedures. It is both much cheaper and much better than what the pool store will sell you.

Also, their tests are worthless. You would do yourself a huge favor and buy a TF-100 test kit or Taylor 2006C. Doing your own accurate testing will save you much time, money, and aggravation. Avoid the pool store. This forum will help you much better than than they can.

20170708_171734.jpg20170708_172628.jpgthis was my test this afternoon ,left then right 3 mins later, any help telling me what you think i should do next ,thanks, also i have a regal filter cleaner label say 32 oz per 5gallons to soak recycle filter is that correct

- - - Updated - - -

water is cyrstal clear and the SWG boost cycle has finished
20170708_171734.jpg20170708_172628.jpgthis was my test this afternoon ,left then right 3 mins later, any help telling me what you think i should do next ,thanks, also i have a regal filter cleaner label say 32 oz per 5gallons to soak recycle filter is that correct

Ok i have tested the water it looks like my TA is still high but the rest falls into the norms ,going swimming tomorrow I hope rain or shine. does anyone know of a way to properly replace the pool fittings made in the liners to be able to upgrade to PVC?

Hello and Welcome to TFP

I'm sorry, but you really haven't provided enough info to make an educated recommendation about your water levels. The strips are only slightly better than a guess. As you showed us, a test three minutes apart give you different results for chlorine and pH. Two of the three most important tests. TA isn't really of concern at the moment. You need to find out what your CYA level is. That alone will tell you if your chlorine level is within acceptable range or not. There is a Chlorine/CYA Chart in PoolSchool (link in my sig) that will tell you the recommend chlorine level. The Chart does not match the levels listed on your test strip package.

Use the search box on the upper right of every page to search for "Intex Hard Pipe". You will get quite a few results of threads from other members.

Have you added any stabilizer (AKA. Cyanuric Acid or CYA) to the pool? If there is none your salt system won't be able to keep up with the loss due to UV light. Without any CYA the chlorine produced is burnt off by sunlight, also without CYA as a buffer the chlorine is very harsh to any bathers. A properly balanced salt pool feels bathing in soft water. No chlorine smell.

In order to know if your water is balanced and safe we need to know the CYA level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.