Tickfaw, La.
Here’s my #’s
24” Round Vinyl w/Sand pump
CYA-40
FC- 17
CC- 2
ph- 7.6
TA-180

I’ve been in the process of SLAMING. Water is still cloudy! For my CYA level I’m at shock level for FC. I’m kind of confused as what to do next???? Please help.

Stick with it! No need to test anything lese right now other than FC. You can test CC 1-2 times a day if you like, and CYA later in the week if you do a lot of backwashes. But watch the filter pressure and backwash as needed. Brush, sweep, vacuum and inspect ANY potential area that algae can hide. When you get a chance, please add which test kit you are using in your signature. Good luck!

Reactions: Oly
Look for areas where algae can hide. Do you have a ladder that is hollow and holds water?
With a CC of 2ppm your chlorine is still fighting organics.
Are you back washing your filter?
Brushing the pool daily?

Test kit is Taylor K-2005

I’m brushing daily, and yes I just backwashed. My latter isn’t hollow, and the sliding steps are not in. But it does have a bottom, like a flat base in the pool. This goofy latter is screwed down.
So what I’m confused by is my fc(@ 17 right now) is already at shock level (shock lvl 16)...I don’t need to add any chlorine.... so what do I do now? Wait.....keep testing my fc idk

Ok, question how are you measuring a FC of 16ppm with a Taylor K-2005 test kit?

@Oly Okay sorry! I forgot that I separately added a Taylor K-1515A to my kit!
I just added that to my signature also. Thanks!

Okay so now my #’s are:
FC-7.5
CC-1 (it was a 1 yesterday, when I tested this morning it basically went colorless after one drop but was a tinge pinkish to me so I added another drop)
CYA-40
ph- 7.6
TA-180

Seems like things are moving along right!?! But I’m still frustrated because the water is still super cloudy! I can maybe see 1’ to 1 1/2’ down. Ughhh! Still brushing every day(and will have the muscles & sun burn to prove it lol)
Any ideas what’s going on? I’m so ready to be able to see the bottom, and to be able to tell all these people(who don’t realize ALL the work I’m doing) that yes my pool is ready!!!

BTW I do not have a walk way all around my pool! So I have to be on a step latter and struggle to brush, etc....#poolstruggles #rippedpoolmom ?

It might be time to Add DE to a Sand Filter - Trouble Free Pool
Ask around and beg or buy a couple cups of DE or cellulose DE replacement off someone. Flag down a pool service truck if you have to. It won't take very much, but if you have to buy a bag, it'll outlast the pool. If you do go shopping, be aware that garden DE is not the same as pool DE. The cheap small bag sold for killing bugs isn't interchangeable with the giant bag used in pool filters.

It might be time to Add DE to a Sand Filter - Trouble Free Pool
Ask around and beg or buy a couple cups of DE or cellulose DE replacement off someone. Flag down a pool service truck if you have to. It won't take very much, but if you have to buy a bag, it'll outlast the pool. If you do go shopping, be aware that garden DE is not the same as pool DE. The cheap small bag sold for killing bugs isn't interchangeable with the giant bag used in pool filters.

I was thinking about that. Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sooo I’ve added DE. I’m at 2cups now. I guess it’s helping... but I still have cloudy water. I say I guess it’s helping because I can see a little further down my ladder now. But not all the way. CC is holding @ .5 & CYA is still @ 40. So I’ve stopped SLAMMING. Because I’m going to go broke buying Chlorine!!! Am I being impatient? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.? About to throw my hands up!

Sooo I’ve added DE. I’m at 2cups now. I guess it’s helping... but I still have cloudy water. I say I guess it’s helping because I can see a little further down my ladder now. But not all the way. CC is holding @ .5 & CYA is still @ 40. So I’ve stopped SLAMMING. Because I’m going to go broke buying Chlorine!!! Am I being impatient? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.? About to throw my hands up!
How is the filter pressure? It should be climbing as it fills up with stuff its filtering. But if it gets too high, it's clogged and your filtering slows way down.

Whendee81

If you stop before successfully completing SLAM, your are going to be back where you started in no time.
You can stop SLAM if you pass all 3 criteria:
1. crystal clear water
2. CC is 0.5 or lower
3. you passed OCLT test.
Based on what you posted, you might passed criteria #2 but not #1 and probably #3 as well.
You should continue to SLAM

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.