Dont know what I'm looking at

Ponduke

Bronze Supporter
Jun 9, 2011
Hi y’all. Hoping I can get some sage like wisdom for someone who knows this stuff better than me. I recently moved into a new home that happens to have an in-ground pool. Looking forward to opening it but unfortunately do not have any info from prior owner regarding how it all works as far as the plumbing is concerned. I had an above ground pool at prior location which is when I originally joined this community so once I get the new pool opened up I have the know how to keep it crystal clear, it’s just getting to that point that’s the challenge.

Attached is a pic of the pump/filter/plumbing along with a couple close up pics of something I have no idea what it is. One I assume is an electrical junction box but no clue why it’s there, and the other plumbing type thing is just a total headscratcher to me. Hopefully someone here will know what the deal is with it. The jandy valve is also a new thing for me. I’ve tried turning it but it won’t move. I’m afraid to force for fear of breaking it. It appears to be turned to the open position. I did find the switch to turn the pump on and it works so that’s the one thing I know about, but other than that I’m lost. I’m tempted to have a local pool company come open for me but really I’d rather handle it myself if I can get some answers here. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• pump-filter.jpg
    pump-filter.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 283
  • mystery 1.jpg
    mystery 1.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 281
  • mystery 2.jpg
    mystery 2.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 282
Welcome to your "new" pool!

It appears to be a sand filter topped with a multiport valve.

You have two suction pipes, so I'm going to guess one main drain and one skimmer.

You have one return pipe feeding how ever many returns you have and the capped off pipe I'm guessing is your backwash pipe.

The small box in the lower left photo appears to be a pool light junction box. Behind the junction box is a long manual vacuum hose.

The box is a light junction box.

The plumbing thing is probably an ionizer where the copper goes. Is there an ionizer controller nearby?

It might be a sacrificial anode.

The Jandy valve has a locking nut on top. Loosen that before trying to turn the valve. If it still won't turn, it might need to be opened and cleaned and lubricated.

The backwash line is the line on the right with the red handled ball valve.

The plumbing thing is probably an ionizer where the copper goes. Is there an ionizer controller nearby?

It might be a sacrificial anode.

The backwash line is the line on the right with the red handled ball valve.
I guess I failed on part.....

Is that backwash line going into the ground? I wonder where it daylights at??

Ionizer? Well that's a new one on me. I take it I can ignore that? Don't see a control panel or anything like that. I'm not interested in anything beyond the TFP method to keep my water balanced so can I assume the ionizer is something I don't really need.

Is that sacrificial anode going to add copper to my pool if I don't remove it or does it need the controller to work and thus I can ignore it?

- - - Updated - - -

Is there a nut on the opposite side of the pipe that looks like the visible one? Honestly I'm not sure. I'll check tonight

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The part unscrews. It's 1.5" and goes into a 2" threaded bushing, which can also unscrew. There might not be a copper bar inside. Even if there is, it might not dissolve that much. It's probably not urgent, but I would want it checked to be sure.

If I may? That sound potentially irresponsible. Maybe to your neighbors? Or whatever else is trying to live downstream of your pool's dumping ground. Not to mention the ramifications and/or fines that might result should you ever get called out on dumping pool water into a stream. Something to think about... something we should all think about...

That's a good point. When I say stream it's more like a dry ditch and I've only seen a small amount of water in it after a big rain. It drains to a small lake a couple hundred feet away, but like I said, as of now I don't know where the backwash drains. If it becomes an issue I'll address it but I have hopes those concerns were addressed during the pool's construction.

That's a good point. When I say stream it's more like a dry ditch and I've only seen a small amount of water in it after a big rain. It drains to a small lake a couple hundred feet away, but like I said, as of now I don't know where the backwash drains. If it becomes an issue I'll address it but I have hopes those concerns were addressed during the pool's construction.

Right-o. And I'm not a tree hugger, by any stretch. But we all gotta do our part. I was only pointing out not to assume that the way the previous owner was handling his pool waste was the best/right/legal way... Nor to assume that what the PB left, or built, or intended, is still intact...

Well I got the cover off the pool and the pump running last night but it was a challenge. Water is pretty bad and I’m beginning slam process tonight. My question now is why does the pool have two returns and why does only one having water flowing from it? The return in the corner (on the right in picture), furthest away from the skimmer has 100% of the return water flowing through it. The return in the middle (on the left near the garden hose), has no water flowing. What am I missing here? (To avoid potential confusion the white thing between the two returns is just a hook for a rope)

Attachments

• returns.jpg
    returns.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 189
OK. I think you're right. I believe now that that is a dedicated suction line for a cleaner. I put my hand in front of it this morning and felt no flow but I was looking for water to be flowing out of it thinking it was a return. If it's a suction line maybe I just couldn't feel or didn't notice water being pulled into it. The pool has a main drain on the bottom of course but with a skimmer, main drain, and this dedicated suction line I can't see how the valve controls all of that.

You have two suction lines going into your pump controlled by a valve. The valve may control suction between the sidewall suction port and the skimmer/main drain. Flow between the skimmer and main drain may be controlled by a diverter valve in your skimmer. Try adjusting the valve and see if you get suction from the side port.

Flow between the skimmer and main drain may be controlled by a diverter valve in your skimmer. Try adjusting the valve and see if you get suction from the side port.

Ok thanks! diverter valve in skimmer? Interesting. I didn't see anything that looked unusual in the skimmer but once again I don't know what I'm looking for. I'll play around with it some more this evening.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.