Dont delete posts added to older threads

Forum Etiquette #6.

I highly doubt they are deleted.
Many do get moved to their own new post though.

Some post to an old post looking for a response from the OP who hasn't been around in a long while.
Some post to an old post because they have the same issue.

It's usually always best to start a new post with your issue than to post to an older post.
Many times, advice given years ago is no longer valid (as things change) and posting to this older post only adds confusion to your issue.

I'm sure there are also a multitude of other reasons the moderators have for keeping the forums clean and on track.

Start a new post and provide a link to the older post in your new post if you think it important/relevant.

It's just plain rude IMO.

Imagine if I barged into a text convo you had with friends 7 years ago. You wouldn't even remember what was said, or who was in the convo. But I just read it all now so I can quote it like it was yesterday.

Many times the poeple quoted haven't visited in years, and will never see it.

Many times the new post amounts to a "me too" with no or little added value to the forum.

Many times thoughts have changed since the thread with many successes, failures, or work arounds seen since. I used to love Pentair equipment. Now it's over $2k a piece and I no longer think it's worth it.

Dig up a 2020 post of mine and you're talking to 2020Dude who doesn't exist anymore. I won't remember the convo you found and I'll probably be too lazy to re-read it for context.

The exception is if you have a spectacular new thought to an unsolved issue. The older the thread, the more spectacular the thought must be. :ROFLMAO: Telling someone to raise their CYA...... 3 years ago..... yeah. No.

Forum Etiquette #6.

Read past the first line-- Read the ENTIRE thing.-

Still there is no good reason to delete

Many times a new person posting to an old thread will revive an old thread and responders will not know that the thread is old or that the new post is not from the original poster.

So, it creates a hijack and it creates a lot of confusion.

In any case, the subject has been covered and there is no point in continuing the argument.

Most likely this thread needs to be closed as it is not longer productive.

Still there is no good reason to delete
When I clicked on the thread in question, it brought me to the first post as I'd never seen the thread before. Then I had to scroll through 2 pages and 26 posts about where MA was a good deal *in 2011*. Then your post came up, 12 years late.

Please start your own thread. Tag any of the old members if you'd like to try to get their opinion. If they see it, great. If not, others won't have to read about 2011 MA prices in order to chime in also.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I understand your angst, but please take this with all the respect for you I can muster.

When I visit a new house, and the host asks me to remove my shoes, it is polite to take your shoes off. That is their rules in their house. You can decide you do not want to revisit, but TFP has more knowledge than you will find anywhere on pool maintenance. Read the rules when you join the forum. Visiting another culture may be shock, but honoring that culture returns great benefits.

I am a relative newbie (2 years, but still, a TFP guide). There IS a system to the madness. All the folks here spend their time to make this work are VOLUNTEERS. Making it HARD for them to manage the 100s of thousands of members, makes it all that harder.

We have 10s of thousands threads per year. Lots of experience in how to handle the onslaught of questions have lead to our forum etiquette...

The team here has spent 100s of thousand of hours helping others, and developed these rules to make the help and administration of the help to be a minimum.

I hope you will stay and contribute and understand the contribution of those that have led to the TFP that is today...and respecting their contributions.

I certainly do.

Last edited:
I’m sorry. I just don’t see what the big deal is in needing to start a new thread. Adding to the old thread can mean adding to a thread where the original posters are long gone so it doesn’t seem super helpful. If you need to reach out to someone about what they wrote, you can always try messaging them directly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.