Don't cringe at this but new multiport valve

bhubb

Jan 4, 2016
KS
I am needing to install a new multiport valve (as you can see the previous owners have JB welded the heck out of it - but it is still leaking).

I want to get rid of the booster pump (no longer use the pressure side cleaner, we got a robot).

I am going to redo this entire plumbing mess but where should I tie in the port for the 3rd return (that was on the booster pump).

I assume I need to tie it in AFTER the heater and filter and not where it is now, which is right after the main pump.

Can I take a Y and put it after the SWG (blue thing by sand filter) and plumb it to both return pipes ? would this drop a lot of pressure to the jets?

What do you recommend I do here?

And also I understand it is a giant mess of plumbing there but I didn't install it, just looking to clean it up some.

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

pool.jpgThanks!

Yes, basically remove all the existing plumbing. Take the output from the filter/new MPV to the heater and then the SWG and then tee them into both the black return pipes. Put unions on the new MPV and pump (you already have them on the heater) and you should be good to go!

Yes, basically remove all the existing plumbing. Take the output from the filter/new MPV to the heater and then the SWG and then tee them into both the black return pipes. Put unions on the new MPV and pump (you already have them on the heater) and you should be good to go!

I am going to give it a try... hoping it won't lose a lot of pressure to the returns

Did the pressure cleaner not work for you? I thought its suction line was supposed to be after the filter or there should be a filter of some sort on the cleaner loop. Basically, the plumbing may not have ever been right.

I agree, just tee the 2 black lines together after the SWG.

I recommend disconnecting the booster pump.
Winterize the line & leave it capped on both sides, when a return does break/leak- you will have a handy spare pipe for returning to pool & not have to rip up pool deck, dig or demo.

appreciate the input guys.

got rid of pressure cleaner because it was broken and bought a polaris robot and love it.

I am going to wye the connection after the swg and go that route.

also the reason I am removing the pump is because someone (def not me) turned it on for a while without the pump running and let all the smoke out of the motor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.