Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
Hi,

As the title states I no longer want to mess with DE - the backwashing, DE additions to the skimmer, the semi-annual cleanings, and the occasional DE coming into the pool when something isn't right inside the filter.

Questions I have:
1) Do I need to replace my DE filter, or can I "convert" it somehow to cartridge? I have the piston type backwash valve instead of a multiport, if that makes a difference. Let me know if you pics of my equipment pad.
2) What size cartridge filter should I get? I have read here that the bigger the better. My current DE filter is 48 sq ft, and my pool is about 13K gallons.
3) Anything else to consider?

Thanks.

Reactions: BaltimoreCaesar
Let me know if you pics of my equipment pad.
*shaking head* Dan, Dan, Dan. You've been around a minute. You KNOW better.

:epds:

So your current filter is almost as big as they make. Look for 400 Sq ft cartridges to be similarly oversized for your 13k gallons. If it's dusty by you and you need cleanings more often than you'd like, nows the time to go bigger with 500s.

You will need to start new.

The backwash valve has to go because if anyone accidentally moved it, you'd ruin your cartridges. If you have a waste/backwash line, you can plumb it with a 3 way valve between the pump and filter. Or add one now while you're already there changing things.

*important note* make sure to study the inlet/outlet on the filters. Many times it's reversed when going to cartridges.

Reactions: DanF
Not sure how old your current filter is. IF the tank is the same, and IF it is new enough, you would need at least $5-550 in a lot of parts and cartridges to convert it to a 300+/- sq. ft. cartridge filter. That's a lot of IF's to risk that much money. Older tanks are a different configuration and new avaiable parts for the newer Hayward filters may not fit.

The only one I have ever successfully done is a Pentair Quad 60 DE to a cartridge filter. No change in plumbing or internals needed, just cartridges that fit the tank, 60 sq. ft. each I believe.

Hi,

As the title states I no longer want to mess with DE - the backwashing, DE additions to the skimmer, the semi-annual cleanings, and the occasional DE coming into the pool when something isn't right inside the filter.

Questions I have:
1) Do I need to replace my DE filter, or can I "convert" it somehow to cartridge? I have the piston type backwash valve instead of a multiport, if that makes a difference. Let me know if you pics of my equipment pad.
2) What size cartridge filter should I get? I have read here that the bigger the better. My current DE filter is 48 sq ft, and my pool is about 13K gallons.
3) Anything else to consider?

Thanks.
Same pool size here, similar Jandy DEV48 filter, same issues :(

Only one persons opinions here, and YMMV as everyone else, but I recently switched from a Jandy DEV-60 filter to a Sta-Rite System7 400sq ft cartridge filter (I also have a separate Pentair 100 sq ft cartridge filter on a different pump), and I have NO regrets about going from DE to cartridge. Easier for me to clean myself, no more DE, no more backwash or trying to put together those stupid grids, etc. One of the better choices I made with the pool recently, but again, others may disagree in their experiences.

I just made that switch myself this summer. NO regrets at all. Went with the biggest cartridge filter I could afford. I get a lot of sand and fine dirt in the pool year round and the DE filter needed deep cleaning way too often. Some kind of tree is shedding thousands of tiny seeds in the pool right now. Hairnets in the skimmer take care of that. Pool is just as clear as it was with DE and I doubt I'll have to clean the cartridges but once a year.

Reactions: DanF and jesse-99
Have you considered just not backwashing? I simply break down my Quad DE twice a year and give it a full clean.
I don’t think I spend an hour a year on it, total.

First my brother also lives in Chandler, I know it can get pretty dusty.

I looked into converting my Pentair FNS Plus DE filter housing into a cartridge filter. After cross reference a billion drawings, including, other OEM brands Pentair filters are sold under I finally had a parts list. The price was about $400, I just gave up and bought a new cartridge filter. Couldn't be happier with the switch. As I've mentioned in other threads I have a prefilter and use skimmer socks and have gone all season with almost no measurable pressure increase. Such a HUGE change from the past two years I've own the pool where it's just been a back washing PITA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.