Done slamming?

ajup2it

Sep 3, 2019
Indiana
Hi all. I opened my pool at the end of April and it was milky/cloudy so I started a SLAM and have been doing so for what feels like 3 weeks. I know sand filters are hard to clear, but in the last week my water has been crystal clear. I've been brushing daily or at least every other day and I vacuum any residual gunk at the bottom of the pool to waste which by now is scarcely anything at all to vacuum. I've not performed an overnight test yet because my CC has been 1 or 1.5 and I'm not sure what to do with that. Keep slamming? Its not budging at all from that number though. Is there something else I need to do to break that lock as it were?

Yes, I've cleaned behind my light niche...several times in fact. Would it be ok if I added a chlorine puck behind the light?

Have you cleaned behind the light? KIDDING! :) I looked at your Poolmath log and it showed a slightly under-rated SLAM FC level for your CYA, but I'm assuming you raised it back up to 28 right? What a about a drain? Drain covers can sometime be a rats nest for algae. Something to think about. No hollow steps or ladder rails in the water? Does the pool get adequate sunlight to oxidize the CCs?

Have you cleaned behind the light? KIDDING! :) I looked at your Poolmath log and it showed a slightly under-rated SLAM FC level for your CYA, but I'm assuming you raised it back up to 28 right? What a about a drain? Drain covers can sometime be a rats nest for algae. Something to think about. No hollow steps or ladder rails in the water? Does the pool get adequate sunlight to oxidize the CCs?
LOL

Yes, today I haven't added chlorine but I assume its best to do so. I've been trying to keep it at 28. I've scrubbed the drain as best as I can from the surface (meaning I didn't dive down to it). Steps are fiberglass and sealed. Sunlight? HAHA. Its been a mix of clouds and rain and then a day or so of sun and back to clouds and rain. -sigh- This weekend and next week its supposed to be hot and sunny, however.

So do I keep slamming then? I would assume so.

I'm at 28.5 FC and 2 CC today. Why does the CC stay so high? Water is crystal clear.

Side questions:
Is it ok to swim in a pool during a SLAM?
Should I hold off on testing pH and TA? I think I read somewhere that high chlorine skews those readings?

Clean your testing equipment. Sometimes a dirty test vial can result in false CC.
You can safely swim in a pool as long as the FC is above the minimum and at or below SLAM level based on your CYA. You must also be able to see the bottom of the pool in the deep end of the pool.
pH is effected by FC above 10. TA will not have changed if you have not added acid or baking soda/soda ash.

Clean your testing equipment. Sometimes a dirty test vial can result in false CC.
You can safely swim in a pool as long as the FC is above the minimum and at or below SLAM level based on your CYA. You must also be able to see the bottom of the pool in the deep end of the pool.
pH is effected by FC above 10. TA will not have changed if you have not added acid or baking soda/soda ash.
I'll clean my vials again. I could read a book that's at the bottom of my pool while I sit on the diving board. Its crystal clear! Ok, hold off on testing pH, TA will still be high as usual. I have people coming over this weekend to swim. Should I let the SLAM drop then? I'm so confused about my CC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.