Dolphin S300i vs Dolphin M5/500 Pro

sgc

Jun 7, 2017
UK
Hi All,

I'm trying to select a Dolphin pool cleaner and it seems like the top of the line robots of choice come down to the M500 (Pro) or S300i.

Each of the owners club threads clearly support one or other model but if I had to choose between the two, which would you recommend?

Are there certain scenarios where one would be better than the other to choose?

All replies much appreciated!

sgc.

Well, I think the bottom brush makes the M series better in my pool where I get a ton of fine dirt and dust. The M5 moves more water, and I like the extra features on the pro remote. Cleaning type choices, and delays, but I dont know what all the S has with regard to the same. I use the bottom focus or delays on mine, almost every time.

I would really like to drop an S series in my pool to see, so I can objectively compare the two. I am heavily biased toward the Ms because it's all I know from experience. All I can say is, I would have to have it proven to me. If any cleaner can outperform the M5, it would be a truly amazing product that every IG pool owner should buy.

Feature-wise, the S300i and M5/500 are the same. You get all the cleaning modes with the S300i - Regular (80/20 bottom/wall split), Fast mode, Ultra mode (higher speed suction), Floor-only, Tile line scrub. You get to customize the daily run times if you leave it in everyday. You get 1.5/2/2.5 hr run times with Delayed Start option if desired. You get Manual Drive mode.

The difference is mainly the larger motor in the M series and the third brush along with the top floats and swivel cord.

The service guy at the shop I bought my S300i basically told me that either model is excellent for cleaning a pool but he felt the M series was really only needed in larger and deeper sized pools and that most pools in my area (5.5 ft average depth, freeform plaster) do just fine with the S series. He also said that no robot will do steps and ledges well and that's just a matter of pool construction. When I asked about the swivel cord he kind of rolled his eyes and said it was unnecessary complication and that he has more failures associated with swivel connectors than regular cords on the S-series. In my pool, the cord is never tangled because the robot executes equal numbers of CW and CCW turns. Also, I do not coil my cord tightly nor wind it up using my elbow and hand - I roll the cord so as to not induce any twists in it.

Anyway, I think you will find this is a "Ford versus Chevy" debate - both make equally good trucks and it's a matter of taste.

With the S300i you need to use your phone to use any of the features which is a pain if you want to leave with your phone while the cleaner does its thing. The M5 has a remote so no need to leave your phone behind.

I agree about the cord not needing a swivel. I bet most people that complain about twists don't coil the cable properly. There are several ways to wrap a cable up without introducing twists, but wrapping it up around your elbow will twist it up every time. I suggest searching Youtube to see how to properly coil a cable without introducing twists.

The only complaint I have about my S300i is that it gets stuck on my "anti-vortex" main drain covers, which are Waterway part# 640-231x V. If the S300i heads toward a main drain cover straight-on, it will ride up on top and then get stuck on top because the tracks will come off bottom of pool and lose traction (bottom of Dolphin housing will be sitting on top of drain cover). The Dolphin will just sit there with tracks still spinning forward for a couple/few minutes, then it will reverse the track direction and do the same. Eventually, it will enter turn mode where it will turn on a side thruster, which will enable itself to dislodge from the drain cover. So it never gets stuck permanently where I have to intervene (by pulling cord, poking with pole, etc.), but it does take time out of the cleaning cycle sometimes when it gets stuck.

I wish I could find a replacement drain cover that would solve this issue. I tried the Polaris Unibridge that you put over the main drain covers but didn't really like them so I removed them. I looked at those plastic clip-on things too but read some bad reviews so haven't tried those.

The bottom (middle) brush on the M500 may do better in helping the cleaner navigate the anti-vortex drain covers such as mine.

With the S300i you need to use your phone to use any of the features which is a pain if you want to leave with your phone while the cleaner does its thing. The M5 has a remote so no need to leave your phone behind.

I agree about the cord not needing a swivel. I bet most people that complain about twists don't coil the cable properly. There are several ways to wrap a cable up without introducing twists, but wrapping it up around your elbow will twist it up every time. I suggest searching Youtube to see how to properly coil a cable without introducing twists.

You don't have to leave your phone behind??

I programmed my S300i when I went on vacation (custom daily schedule, floor only mode, 2.5hr cycle) using my phone then left. Robot did fine. There's no need to leave your phone near the robot.

You can set most features directly on the power supply control panel. And, as others have noted, once set, the phone does not need to be nearby.

There are only 3 functions on the power supply panel, weekly timer, standard or fast mode, and delayed start. As I see it, most of the functions need the app to use them.

I mainly used the app to remotely drive the cleaner to spot clean some areas such as steps and the reef. I just figured that once the bluetooth connection was lost that the cleaner would return to its normal mode. I'm guessing that once the cleaner is turned off that it will not stay in the last mode next time that it is turned on. It would be nice for my situation to run it in the deep clean slow mode for my pool most of the time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The main difference to consider between these models is what you are normally vacuuming from the pool.
if just just small fines every few days than either machine will perform.
if you have heavy debris leaves and stuff the s300i has the bigger basket which is what swayed me.

as for pickup trucks get a Chevy��

The main difference to consider between these models is what you are normally vacuuming from the pool.
if just just small fines every few days than either machine will perform.
if you have heavy debris leaves and stuff the s300i has the bigger basket which is what swayed me.

as for pickup trucks get a Chevy��

This is something I would actually like to know about. Do you know where the numbers are regarding filtering capacity? It's impossible to judge from photos, but looks wise from there, the capacity seems very similar. What I do like about the S models is the filter staging/setup, coarse and fine.

As for pickup trucks...I will die with a Ford if there is one in my driveway at the time. :p

Have you tried turning down the flow from the main drain when running the robot? I had to do that for a robot i had before the m5.

Hi pookiesunshine, I have dual main drains and a variable speed pump running at low rpm so the drain suction is very low, but even with pump off the S300i will get stuck if it arrives at a drain straight on and drives up on top of a cover, because the bottom of the S300i case sits on top of the cover top and the tracks lose traction so it just sits there and spins its tracks until it decides to execute a turn and turn on a side thruster, that will dislodge it. I think the solution is new drain covers that are more in the shape of a dome that comes to a peak, rather than what I have which are flat on top/slightly inward in center. Thanks!

Thank you to everyone for your very helpful responses.

I'm currently quite tempted by the M500 based on the extra power and third brush (I've just posted another topic to ask if the M5 Supreme and M500 are exactly the same).

The big basket on the s300i looks very good and perhaps better than the M500 but I can empty more frequently if necessary and the extra scrubbing power should be helpful.

Can the M500 and M5 connect via bluetooth to the phone app?

Thanks all!

sgc

What about maintenance and lifetime of units?

Where I'm located (Turkey), sending to Maytronics will be difficult and very costly if even possibly.

I'm very handy so if one is easier to do work on than the other that could be an important factor.

Are motors likely to last the same in each too?

Thanks!

This is something I would actually like to know about. Do you know where the numbers are regarding filtering capacity? It's impossible to judge from photos, but looks wise from there, the capacity seems very similar. What I do like about the S models is the filter staging/setup, coarse and fine.

As for pickup trucks...I will die with a Ford if there is one in my driveway at the time. :p
ill measure the basket and get back with you after it finishes this mornings voyage.
After watching several videos on the M500 it looked to me like the filter setup was somewhat cumbersome to clean.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.