Dolphin s300 - won't reverse on self test?

Oct 15, 2015
DFW, TX
I've taken the little guy apart and unclogged some debris from the impeller after it would run for just a few seconds and then stop. I performed the self test out of water and it runs forward, pauses and starts up again but running in the same direction.. all the youtube videos and support manuals seems to think it should attempt to run in reverse after the first pause.. it's about 5 years old so should have plenty of life left but I'm wondering if anyone else has run into a similar issue... there is a slight, intermittent clunk from the treads when it's running the self test out of water but I've taken that apart as well and didn't see any noticeable debris or obstructions.. any ideas before I take it to the local dealer for a further diagnosis? there's just not many moving parts that could go wrong so I'm wondering if it's something with the control board that's malfunctioning in some fashion.

See the thread link in my signature. Likely multiple problems -

1. Wheel bushings are warped. That’s the tread clunk
  2. Drive Motor assembly is dying likely due to water inside it.
  3. impeller motor is shot
  4. Control board has burned out traces
Do this - run the self test with all the plastic internal directional parts taken off. When the impellar motor spins up to run, do you hear 3 distinct speeds? If not, the motor assembly is dead.

$450

so I performed the 'motor disengagement' trick mentioned elsewhere and the self test does now run in reverse for a few seconds.. when I drop him in the pool, runs for a few seconds and then the lights turn off.. doesn't seem to matter which mode/program I start with.. I'll try the above mentioned tricks and see what that yields. some pics of the rear treads (I'm not sure if that's normal or if that one tread worked its way loose etc..) and the little fins on the underbelly if that points to anything (apart from general wear/tear). water chemistry is within specs now.

Attachments

• IMG_20220711_205355365.jpg
    IMG_20220711_205355365.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20220711_205405725.jpg
    IMG_20220711_205405725.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20220711_205411959.jpg
    IMG_20220711_205411959.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 6
None of that tread wear is unusual or would cause the symptoms you are seeing. You can bring it to the shop but I can almost guarantee they’re going to diagnose it as a motor failure. They can’t be repaired, only replaced. They cost $450 plus whatever they’d charge for labor to install.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.