Dolphin Premier troubleshooting

birdgirl2014

Bronze Supporter
May 8, 2014
Charleston, SC
I have a Dolphin Premier that has stopped moving. This happened once before and TFP experts suggested a problem w the impeller, which WAS the problem (broken) and a new impeller replacement had it working fine. It's stopped moving again, and I've inspected the impeller, and it's fine - moveable manually - but the Dolphin still isn't moving and the impeller doesn't seem to be rotating. Any ideas about what the problem might be?

Maytronics has simplified these machines considerably. It's either the power supply or the motor. If you have a friend or neighbor with a compatible power supply, hooking your robot up to that supply will give you the answer. Unfortunately, unless you're under the warranty period, neither is a cheap fix.

The robot runs a self-test, when first turned on, and if it does not pass, the robot will only go a few feet before it shuts off, if it moves at all.. The Impeller on the top has to run to pass the tests..

Lay the Robot on the deck upside down with its tracks in the air.. Plug it in and turn it on and see what happens.. the tracks should turn one way and then the other and the suction (Impeller) should also run... If the tracks move, then the problem is most likely not the power supply.. (Notice I said most likely...) If nothing moves, then I would suspect the power supply.. As has been said, the new power supplies are interchangeable, so if you know anyone with a dolphin, see if you can borrow it for a test...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Dos the power supply light up? Are the indicator lights on the power supply normal?
The power supply DOES light up and appear normal; I even unplugged the power cord & tried again, resetting the power pack - hoping that, like a computer, it would reboot & be happy. Nope.
I also realized that one of the tracks looked loose, took it apart, and found that the track was off the center "guide." Put it back together, but still no movement. Thanks for the suggestion.

Maytronics has simplified these machines considerably. It's either the power supply or the motor. If you have a friend or neighbor with a compatible power supply, hooking your robot up to that supply will give you the answer. Unfortunately, unless you're under the warranty period, neither is a cheap fix.
Thanks for the suggestion. I don't know someone with a Maytronic, but will post a question on our online neighborhood questions site, and see if someone nearby has one. I never would have thought of this!

The robot runs a self-test, when first turned on, and if it does not pass, the robot will only go a few feet before it shuts off, if it moves at all.. The Impeller on the top has to run to pass the tests..

Lay the Robot on the deck upside down with its tracks in the air.. Plug it in and turn it on and see what happens.. the tracks should turn one way and then the other and the suction (Impeller) should also run... If the tracks move, then the problem is most likely not the power supply.. (Notice I said most likely...) If nothing moves, then I would suspect the power supply.. As has been said, the new power supplies are interchangeable, so if you know anyone with a dolphin, see if you can borrow it for a test...

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks, Jim! I'll try that in the morning. When the impeller was broken a year ago, it would go a few feet, reverse & stop. Now it doesn't even move, so it sounds like the power supply. (Groan.)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.