LifeTime Supporter
Jul 21, 2014
Sacramento, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
So the 11 year old booster pump for our trusty Polaris 280, affectionately named “Splash” because, well, he often comes up to greet visitors a spray from the tail sweep, seems to be done (longer story about attempted repairs that reduced a big leak but now have it seized up). While I could replace the pump for a few hundred dollars, I think it’s time to try out a robot that can do more scrubbing than Splash is willing to do (he just flicks his tail when I mention it!)

I’m looking at the S200, Active 20, or Warrior SE because we don’t need the bells and whistles of the higher models -- I plan to use automation mode with a WiFi plug timer. I have spoken with Margaret at Marina, awaiting new availability info.

I think I understand that these models by default come with a basket and 2 sets of snap-in filters, one mesh (“spring/fall” or “fine” depending on the reference), and one pleated (“ultra-fine”), but only one of these can be installed at a time. Marina usually offers a “filter upgrade” to what some higher models have -- a basket with a mesh (“rough”) filter built-in that can have the pleated ultra-fine filters snapped in at the same time. Am I understanding that correctly?

The advantage of that would be bigger debris being caught by the mesh and thus easier to clean than from between the pleats. The disadvantage might be potential flow reduction. Margaret’s thought was that if I don’t have tons of leaves falling all year round the basic setup might be better. Is there anybody who’s used both and prefers the default (i.e. being able to use the ultra-fine filter alone)?

Also, a warranty question -- while I believe these are exactly the same robot except for color and all have a 2 year warranty, the Warrior SE means dealing with Pentair’s customer/warranty support instead of Maytronics, right? I’ve seen many issues here with Pentair support, but that’s anecdotal and can’t tell if Maytronics is any better to deal with?

The Dolphin robots also seem have automation mode documented and advertised, while on the Warrior SE it works but is undocumented/unsupported.

I have the Active 60 / M600 and it came with the fine filter and the mesh and I run that 24/7 in it.. It works great with the upgraded pumps on this version.. It should work exactly the same on the S200 version.. It picks up sand and dirt and keeps it in the filter until I clean it out.. :)

Thanks -- current status is that I should have pulled the trigger on an Active 20 available last week, but didn't and Marina's next shipment is 6-8 weeks away. They have the Dolphin E30 and Triton PS available now, both of which are the same robot as the S200/Active20 and the same price (well, the E30 is $20 less), but only come with the "fine" filters (no ultrafine pleated), and since they're drop-shipped from Maytronics they can't do the filter upgrade.

They can sell me the ultra-fine filters for $50 (so for the E30 that'd be $30 more than the others that aren't available to get the same configuration), but I might wait on that since it's almost clear-the-leaves-out season not polish-it-clean season.

Part of me wonders if there will be any sales or price reductions over the fall/winter (thus worth trying to fix the Polaris booster one more time), or if the ~$100 price bumps are just permanent so I should just do it now -- I suspect the latter.

Thanks -- current status is that I should have pulled the trigger on an Active 20 available last week, but didn't and Marina's next shipment is 6-8 weeks away. They have the Dolphin E30 and Triton PS available now, both of which are the same robot as the S200/Active20 and the same price (well, the E30 is $20 less), but only come with the "fine" filters (no ultrafine pleated), and since they're drop-shipped from Maytronics they can't do the filter upgrade.

They can sell me the ultra-fine filters for $50 (so for the E30 that'd be $30 more than the others that aren't available to get the same configuration), but I might wait on that since it's almost clear-the-leaves-out season not polish-it-clean season.

Part of me wonders if there will be any sales or price reductions over the fall/winter (thus worth trying to fix the Polaris booster one more time), or if the ~$100 price bumps are just permanent so I should just do it now -- I suspect the latter.
I'm not sure if you can't or won't disclose the pricing you received, but can you PM me and let me know how much to expect for the Active 20 or Dolphin E30? I heard about Marina, so I wanted to get an idea of prices. Thanks.

I'm not sure if you can't or won't disclose the pricing you received, but can you PM me and let me know how much to expect for the Active 20 or Dolphin E30? I heard about Marina, so I wanted to get an idea of prices. Thanks.

I don't think it's a secret -- I paid $779 for the Explorer E30; they also had the Triton PS for $799. I was intrigued by the look of the orange Triton PS, but saved the $20 and went with the black/white E30 :). I believe these are authorized "Internet" models (vs "In-store") but Marina had better pricing than I saw elsewhere. I believe it shipped from the manufacturer's Atlanta warehouse, ordered last Monday afternoon and it got here this past Monday. The $50 ultra-fine pleated filters I added came in the same shipping box.

So far so good; I ran it a few cycles to get all the leaves that had accumulated. I probably won't bother trying the pleated filters until next spring when ready to use the pool; the mesh seems to get as fine or finer debris as the Polaris bag.

I don't think it's a secret -- I paid $779 for the Explorer E30; they also had the Triton PS for $799. I was intrigued by the look of the orange Triton PS, but saved the $20 and went with the black/white E30 :). I believe these are authorized "Internet" models (vs "In-store") but Marina had better pricing than I saw elsewhere. I believe it shipped from the manufacturer's Atlanta warehouse, ordered last Monday afternoon and it got here this past Monday. The $50 ultra-fine pleated filters I added came in the same shipping box.

So far so good; I ran it a few cycles to get all the leaves that had accumulated. I probably won't bother trying the pleated filters until next spring when ready to use the pool; the mesh seems to get as fine or finer debris as the Polaris bag.
Ok, thanks. I'm hesitant about dropping that kind of money on a cleaner, mostly because I have a screened pool that doesn't get very dirty. I just want a simple cleaner that picks up fine particles like sand/dirt and the occasional earthworm that likes to drown itself in the pool. I used to have a knockoff kreepy krauly that did ok, but I'm looking for a better solution that fits between a $100 kreepy krauly and a $779 E30. Is there a decent $300 robot cleaner or are the cheaper models just trash?

The pool cleaner is a suction side rockstar in the 400 dollar range, it works great for what you want, last forever and if broke is easily fixed.. I had mine for 6 years and 1 plastic sprocket broke and I fixed it for 30 bucks..

Add this to the line and it will stop the sand from getting into your filter :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.