Dolphin outdoor container

BPool18

Jun 14, 2018
Cincinnati, OH
Can anyone recommend a functional outdoor waterproof container where I can store my dolphin when not in use. Last year, I moved it all the way back to my garage after each use and I’d love to be able to just put it in a container this year right be the pool to avoid the constant moving. Not looking for anything, just functional. Thanks!

May be a plastic deck box? You want it well ventilated and still out of the sun so it does not get blazing hot.

Rain will not hurt the Dolphin. You should keep the power supply out of the rain.

To ventilate -- drill some 1/2inch holes on each end on the vertical sides.

Thanks for your help Marty - do you think two 1/2” holes each side would be enough? Wonder if that would be a haven for insects or snakes.

Would you keep both the power supply and dolphin then in this deck box once ventilated?

Thanks again

I would think a couple holes would be enough. No hazardous fumes or anything.
Anything can get insects in it. Not sure about snakes. Would have to climb up the plastic. You do not really want to store the Dolphin on its treads (keep the brushes elevated) so be sure you do something to lift it up or be able to set it on its side.
The power supply I would keep in the garage or house. But that is me.
In the winter you should bring even the Dolphin in.

If you look at the most recent pictures on my build thread you can see how I covered the pool equipment and left room for the dolphin. The top is open so rain can come down on my robot. When I put it away I put a tarp over the top of it (free one from harbor freight) and then wrap a bungee cord around that to hold it on. Perfectly waterproof for the electronics and didn't cost anything. Costco's have their storage and deck boxes for sale in stores right now.

I actually just decided I would permanently store my Dolphin M500 Caddy/Power Supply in the Suncast deck container I had out there. I know this may be a touchy thing but I leave my robot in the pool almost all of the time. I do take it out when I add acid for a little bit but otherwise it pretty much stays in the pool other than the daily filter clean-out. The schedule is to have it run all but 1 day a week so seemed crazy to take it out and wrap it up just to undo it all every morning before I leave for work.

Here are some pictures of what I did. I drilled 2x 1 & 5/8" holes in the box. Bought a couple of these grommets with the screws is the picture attached. Took about 15 minutes but makes it look finished.

The box is about 15 feet or so from the edge of the pool and was located right by an electrical outlet. I was tired of letting the caddy sit out in the sun so I figured what the heck. Makes it easy to keep the power supply out of the rain and so far no issues.

Attachments

• Distance_View.jpg
    Distance_View.jpg
    491.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Caddy.jpg
    Caddy.jpg
    297 KB · Views: 42
  • Front_Grommet.jpg
    Front_Grommet.jpg
    407 KB · Views: 39
  • Elec_Outlet.jpg
    Elec_Outlet.jpg
    509.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Total_View_1.jpg
    Total_View_1.jpg
    402.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Screws.jpg
    Screws.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 40
I actually just decided I would permanently store my Dolphin M500 Caddy/Power Supply in the Suncast deck container I had out there. I know this may be a touchy thing but I leave my robot in the pool almost all of the time. I do take it out when I add acid for a little bit but otherwise it pretty much stays in the pool other than the daily filter clean-out. The schedule is to have it run all but 1 day a week so seemed crazy to take it out and wrap it up just to undo it all every morning before I leave for work.

Here are some pictures of what I did. I drilled 2x 1 & 5/8" holes in the box. Bought a couple of these grommets with the screws is the picture attached. Took about 15 minutes but makes it look finished.

The box is about 15 feet or so from the edge of the pool and was located right by an electrical outlet. I was tired of letting the caddy sit out in the sun so I figured what the heck. Makes it easy to keep the power supply out of the rain and so far no issues.
I like your solution! We I first got the robot, I did the "in and out" routine every time I used it. Now, I just let it stay in the pool and will take it out if we have a large number of guests or kiddos over. Otherwise, I just put the cord up on the coping so I get better skimming action. I also have the power supply in our outdoor fireplace wood "storage" area.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    332.9 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: the_sphynx

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I like your solution! We I first got the robot, I did the "in and out" routine every time I used it. Now, I just let it stay in the pool and will take it out if we have a large number of guests or kiddos over. Otherwise, I just put the cord up on the coping so I get better skimming action. I also have the power supply in our outdoor fireplace wood "storage" area.

I like your pool. Especially looks nice for Oklahoma City area. My extended family is in the Norman area. A lot of flat and nothing although there are some trees. You have nice color and a nice variety of trees. Looks good man.

I like your pool. Especially looks nice for Oklahoma City area. My extended family is in the Norman area. A lot of flat and nothing although there are some trees. You have nice color and a nice variety of trees. Looks good man.
Thanks! We live on the far east side of town and are located in the "cross timbers" so it's not much like what the average person may think of Oklahoma. There is a distinct dividing line and It's a lot like my home state of N. Georgia, but the wind is stronger and the trees aren't quite as tall.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.