Dolphin Nautilus CC Plus vs. Triton PS

Jul 8, 2017
Memphis /Tennessee
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have been communicating with Seth and Margaret at Marina for several weeks. Good customer service so far. As recommended by some here, I want to purchase a S200, but Marina said they may not be available until late July 2021. My old Polaris 280 and its pump are hanging on by their fingernails. I cannot delay, so the real choice right now is between a Nautilus CC Plus and Triton PS. (Who thinks up these silly model names?) Margaret said the Nautilus is an older design, is available, but will soon be discontinued. Also, she said the Triton PS is a newer design and similar to the S200. I am leaning towards the Triton PS. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I would do the Triton PS as it is really close to the S200, just an online only model... I know what you mean about the names... :)

Reactions: Tbone2087
I have a nautilus CC plus and it’s been running fine for me going on three years now with no issues (knock on wood). It doesn’t have any of the bells and whistles, which is mostly fine. Some models you can set the robot up to start up once they receive power which means you can schedule them though a smart switch and Alexa or Google. The nautilus won’t do this as it requires you to unplug it, plug it back in and then press the power button. It does have a feature where if you leave it in the pool you can have it run automatically once a day or once every three days or something like that. I don’t find that feature useful for me though. It does a great job cleaning and has a 50ft cord. It can get stuck on pool drains every once in a while, so I cut a 4 inch section of pool noodle and zip tied it on the handle and that seemed to help it with that issue. It has a 50ft long cord so it reaches all parts of the pool. It scrubs the walls, has issues getting up on the stairs. To me it’s perfectly fine. It doesn’t have all the features, but it’s reliable and cleans great which is a lot better then it having a lot of features and not being reliable and not cleaning all that well. I see no reason to upgrade it until it completely dies. At that point in time I’ll get one that can at least start when power is applied to it.

Reactions: Tbone2087
Today, I am reevaluating the entire situation. My Polaris pump motor issues seem to be terminal. Considering the cost of a robot and me being laid off work since October 2020, I have more time on my hands. Therefore, I am considering buying a vacuum hose and going "old school" with some of the pool cleaning maintenance. I have a good vacuum head and just need to purchase a vacuum hose. Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: Orion7319
I spoke with Margaret at Marina Pool and Spa 3 days ago and she never mentioned the Nautilus CC Plus being discontinued. What attracted me to this model in the first place is that it has 2 brushes so I was considering buying the Nautilus CC + until I watched a few YouTube review videos on it that said it does not always make it all the way to the waterline (only climbs half way up the wall). Does anyone else have this problem? Also, the cartridges seem like a bit of a chore to take apart and clean then reassemble and return to the unit vs the top loading basket (just pop out, rinse and reinsert). I had the Explorer E30 for about a week and had some issues with it so returned it. It had 2 brushes and did an amazing job of cleaning the pool (if I could just keep it running!) but I got turned off by that product line with my initial bad experience. Margaret also had the Triton in stock which offers the top-loading basket filter but it only has 1 brush. Can anyone help me figure out what to buy here as I am not sure if I want to buy a model that will get discontinued? I am looking for something I the $800 price point. We live in CT and use the pool 3 months out of the year. It is an unground 16x32 salt water with a vinyl liner.
Many thanks!

watched a few YouTube review videos on it that said it does not always make it all the way to the waterline (only climbs half way up the wall). Does anyone else have this problem?
No mine always cleans the waterline. Sometimes it does only go halfway up the wall but, I think on those passes it’s not aiming to go up to the waterline. It always cleans the waterline though. The cartridges aren’t that big of a deal to clean. The only thing I don’t like about mine is that sometimes it gets stuck on the main drains (so I zip tied 4 inches of pool noodle to its handle which helped). Also it only runs back to back if you unplug it and plug it back in and then physically hit the power button. This means I can’t schedule it simply using a smart outlet and Alexa.

Purchased 40 foot vacuum hose from local store a few weeks ago. Vacuuming about once every week, takes about 20 minutes, and happy with the results. Strainer basket is never full after vacuuming and I have a leaf vacuum for autumn leaves. I acknowledge some convenience with robots, but it seems quite a trade-off considering factors such as cost, storage, maintenance, reliability, and ease of cleaning. as compared to conventional vacuuming.

Reactions: Oddad
I have a Triton PS Plus, which is similar to the S300i. The Triton PS is a S200 in a different color. The S200 definitely comes with 2 sets of filters (fine and ultrafine). The Triton PS may only come with fine. Amazon has the Triton PS for $899. I think Marina has the Pentair version of the S200 for $799.
The big advantage of the Triton PS is the BASKET. It removes and cleans easier the two removable filters on the Nautilus.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.